AMD threadripper - CPU using 95% - Constant system freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD threadripper - CPU using 95% - Constant system freeze

I'm using Vray 3.60.04 and max 2018 sp4. Rendering a still frame locally causes constant system freezes. Memory usage is only 15%.
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Do you use some kind of overclocking? What is the core temperature? Which Threadripper is it? Is the system completely froozen or only 3dsMAX? I had a light overclocking when I became my render computer with the 2950x from the dealer and had also freezes of the system. Temperatures were up to 80°C to (when I remember right) 85°C. When I removed overclocking the system was stable and the temperature was about 65°C. If you measure the temperature with CoreTemp be sure to adjust the offset. The right temperature is shown in the AMD Ryzen Master tool. Temperature Reporting (source: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-page...-review,8.html)

To keep a "consistent fan policy," AMD is forcing a 27C offset on all models Ryzen Threadripper processors. This makes them report the temperature a good 10C above what the sensor reads. The other models on the AM4 Platform have the same maximum tCTL value. The primary temperature reporting sensor of the AMD Ryzen processor is a sensor called “T Control,” or tCTL for short. The tCTL sensor is derived from the junction (Tj) temperature—the interface point between the die and heatspreader—but it may be offset on certain CPU models so that all models on the AM4 Platform have the same maximum tCTL value. This approach ensures that all AMD Ryzen and thus Ryzen Threadripper processors have a consistent fan policy.
    Workstation: Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4,20GHz 64 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000, Win10 Prof.<br>Rendernode: AMD Threadripper 2990wx 64 GB RAM, Win 10 Prof. MAX 2021.3, VRay 5 hotfix2, ForestPack, RailClone, RichDirt, KStudio ProjectManager....

Comment

Are you at the limits of your power supply too?

Comment

So, the CPU is a 2990WX 32 core. I'll check for overclocking but as far as I know there is none. Will check temps too.

This is the spec.

Processor: AMD 2nd Gen Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core Processor
        Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 PC4-24000 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit
        Hard Drive: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVME M.2 SSD
        Hard Drive 2: WD Blue 2TB 64MB Cache Hard Drive SATA 6Gb/s 5400rpm
        Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
        PSU: Corsair HXi Series HX850I 80 PLUS Platinum ATX Power Supply
        Mouse: No Mouse Required
        Keyboard: No Keyboard Required
        Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout Edition Mid-Tower
        Motherboard: Asus Prime X399-A E-ATX AMD TR4 Motherboard
        Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO Liquid CPU Cooler
        Networking: On Board Networking only
        Sound: Onboard Audio
        Modified Build Charge: Custom build charge
        Operating System: Windows 10 Professional [Added]
        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Here is a grab Temps look fine to me. The odd thing is that the CPU is not at 100% whilst the buckets are rendering a fairly complex part of the scene. My previous intel CPU would have been hitting 100% at this point I'm sure.

Not sure about the PSU. What do you think from the spec list above ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	amd.JPG
Views:	629
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1016300
          Attached Files
          Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Actually, strike the "not using 100%". 3dsmax was using near to 100% in the performance tab.
            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

One other thing to note is that I had the new system built minues the windows 10 install. I used a previous windows 10 64 bit install that I had used on an Intel system. Do you think this might be causing the issue ? I was hoping to get away with not having to re-install windows but maybe that is not the case.
              Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

You can try excluding 1 or 2 cores from rendering and see if you'll get the same behavior by setting VRAY_NUM_THREADS variable
                See https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...r-freeze/page4
                Ivan Slavchev

SysOps

Chaos Group

Comment

Working...
                X