No announcement yet.

Very high unloading times after rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It might be a good idea to send (support@chaosgroup.com) the scene for profiling, it could be something that needs improvement.
    Meanwhile you may use VRAY_TERMINATE_ON_FRAME_END environment variable which will force V-Ray to terminate the rendering process after it's completed and the image is stored to the hard drive, it should help saving those 15-20min of RAM unloading.

Please note that the variable will kill 3dsMax when the render process is compeleted, including when rendering material swatches - so the option is intented to be used mainly on render slaves.

More information about the variable could be found here:
    https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...ment+Variables
    Last edited by svetlozar.draganov; 14-10-2019, 06:40 AM.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

I have another scene which shows this behaviour. Max freezes for two minutes after stopping or finishing a render. Even on lowest resolutions of 800x600px.
      This only happens in production render, canceling IPR is not affected.
      Last edited by kosso_olli; 17-01-2020, 09:11 AM.
      https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

We got this issue again in the last weeks. Nothing too fancy, a normal scene without proxies, taking about 25gb of RAM while rendering. Every time a render finishes or I cancel it, I have to wait around two minutes. This does not feel right.

Comment

Are we talking for two separate scenes here or it's a single one?
          Any chance to send scene/scenes over for investigation?
          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

This also occurs in the following situation: V-Ray gives a "confirm overwrite" notice before rendering, because the files are already there. I click cancel, and I get the same delay of around 30 seconds, although there was no rendering happening at all. Also, no scene preparation took place. Why the delay, then?

Comment

Is there any resolution to this problem? VRAY_TERMINATE_ON_FRAME_END sounds like just the answer to my problems, but I have no idea how to implement it. Is there a step-by-step for dummies??? A .ini file to edit? If it works, I want to assign this to all my render nodes. I use VRay Next 3.2.

My issues are related to Forest Pack, regardless of whether the scattered objects are VRayProxies or not. The most common culprit is Forest preset lawns, when seen over a large surface area. The scene renders quickly, saves, then takes several minutes to unload. (Large scenes can be 10-15 min) For a video with thousands of frames, this adds up!!!

Comment

Originally posted by uplink3d View Post
                Is there any resolution to this problem? VRAY_TERMINATE_ON_FRAME_END sounds like just the answer to my problems, but I have no idea how to implement it. Is there a step-by-step for dummies??? A .ini file to edit? If it works, I want to assign this to all my render nodes. I use VRay Next 3.2.

My issues are related to Forest Pack, regardless of whether the scattered objects are VRayProxies or not. The most common culprit is Forest preset lawns, when seen over a large surface area. The scene renders quickly, saves, then takes several minutes to unload. (Large scenes can be 10-15 min) For a video with thousands of frames, this adds up!!!
                Click the Windows key and search for environment variables. In the system properties menu (advanced tab), click on the Environment Variables button. Afterward, create a new variable by clicking "New". For the name write "VRAY_TERMINATE_ON_FRAME_END" and for its value 1 (true).
                Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
                Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I have seen post render delays that were actually max’s fault, and disabling materials in viewport solved them. The delay was on the order of minutes.

Switching to show object color in viewport fixed it.

Never did figure out why that particular scene was like that. The textures weren’t all that big and the models were pretty simple.

Comment

Originally posted by hermit.crab View Post

Click the Windows key and search for environment variables. In the system properties menu (advanced tab), click on the Environment Variables button. Afterward, create a new variable by clicking "New". For the name write "VRAY_TERMINATE_ON_FRAME_END" and for its value 1 (true).
                    Thank you for the explanation. Unfortunately, while it does kill the process, it ends before saving the image, and completely closes max. The whole job needs to reload, negating any time savings. I'm rendering video sequences using VRay Frame Buffer via backburner, saving to exr. (For the current project I'm not saving any Render Elements)

Comment

Thank you for the explanation. Unfortunately, while it does kill the process, it ends before saving the image, and completely closes max. The whole job needs to reload, negating any time savings. I'm rendering video sequences using VRay Frame Buffer via backburner, saving to exr. (For the current project I'm not saving any Render Elements)
                      Well, yes - that's already written in svetlozar's post above. The variable is meant for render slaves.

Comment

Originally posted by hermit.crab View Post

Well, yes - that's already written in svetlozar's post above. The variable is meant for render slaves.
                        Yes, and that's exactly how I was using it. As I said "via backburner" = render slaves.

Comment

Yes, and that's exactly how I was using it. As I said "via backburner" = render slaves.
                          For the variable to be useful, you would need to send each frame of the sequence as a new job.

Comment

Working...
                          X