Displacement and Real World Scale Mapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement and Real World Scale Mapping

2d Displacement does not respect the Real World Map Size, 3D displacement works fine though.
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Yes!
    I dont know if this is exactly what you are talking about but if you take a pure 0 0 0 black map with a litle pure white dot on it( 255 255 255) and set VRay displacemnt to 1 meter using this map, then the rendered displacement doesnt measure 1meter

Comment

Sorry to bring this old topic back to life, but it seems that it's my exact problem.
      We find very useful world-scaled maps, but I can't get them to work properly when applied to a VRay displacement in 2D mode.
      As pointed in this other thread the displaced map seems limited to 1m x 1m size.

I'm testing on VRay 1.5.00 / MAX2008, MAX system units set to meters.

Comment

The 2d displacement follows strictly the actual UVW coordinates of the underlying object, so if you want the displacement to be to scale, you need to have your UVW coords to be to scale as well.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hmm, I'm a bit lost here.
          I've done a test scene with a plane that has a UVMap modifier with 'Real-World Map Size' checked, and a VRayDisplacementMod in 2D mode on top of it. Without changing the actual UVW coordinates of the base object, I modified the bitmap 'Real-World Size' in the bitmap options (which actually is the bitmap tiling) and got these results.

- Real-World Scale Size 1x1m, looks OK:

- Real-World Scale Size set to 2x2m or 0.3x0.3m only gets an area of 1mx1m right, the rest of the displaced area doesn't follow the same placement of the other maps.

Would it be a problem to change 2D displacement so it treats the bitmap 'Real-World Size' (Tiling) in a way that it behaves like the other maps?

Comment

It might be possible, I'm not sure; I'll have to check in the 3ds Max SDK.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I didn't know that real scale doesn't work, till now I have the same problems.

@vlado: you had over 3.5 years to check! any news to this?

best regards
              themaxxer
              Pixelschmiede GmbH
              www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

Working...
              X