Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High CPU Usage from Latest Update when Idle

Hi,

I've noticed that the latest Vray Update caused high idle cpu usage even on a brand new empty scene. It seems to be distinct to the newest update regardless of the 3ds Max version.

Image 1 shows the cpu usage on 3 brand new scenes when opening 3ds Max 2021 after a reboot. They all seem to use CPU usage in a linear fashion. Not ideal.
    Image 2 shows the CPU usage in comparison to a brand new scene in Max 2020 with Vray Next installed and a brand new scene in Max 2019 which also has the new Vray 5.1 hotfix update
    Image 3 Shows the same 3 comparisons except I had just uninstalled Vray from the Max 2019. Here we have seem to isolate the problem to the Vray Update. Is anyone else having issues?

I've tried the latest stable nightly and uninstalling the cosmo browser but so far there hasn't been any change.

Installing the latest forest pack update also doesn't seem to fix it.

Windows 10, AMD 2990WX, 64GB Ram, Nvidia Titan XP
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AbeTJH; 29-03-2021, 08:51 AM.

A couple of further tests. See attached.

I just installed Max 2022 (no plugins or scripts). The first image shows the CPU usage compared to Max 2021 with Vray 5.1 hotfix.

I then installed Vray 5.1 hotfix to Max 2022 (no other plugins or scripts) and compared. This seems to suggest the issue can be isolated to the latest update.

Attached Files

Comment

I can confirme this here. I updated yesterday and have now around 45% CPU usage. Because I changed to Win10 with my workstation 3 months ago I made some tests in Windows 7 before and later under Win10. I loaded a lot of programs to see, why my computer is slower than under Win7. So I loaded Photoshop, Indesign, Premiere, Word, Excel and some other programs including two sessions of MAX with some medium sized scenes. In the end I had a CPU usage between 13%-16% idle and about 10 GB memory usage. After updating to VRay 5 update 1.1 the CPU usage went to 44% - 46% idle with the same scenes loaded, Memory usage was the same. When I tried to open the render setup window it didnt work. It opens the window without content, closed it again, opened it again and so on. I had to shut down the process. I´m not sure if the problem is on the side of Chaos Group because when I start MAX the VRay the VRay toobar comes first. The rising of the CPU usage begins short befoore MAX is ready loaded. Nethertheless, we need a hotfix...
      Adressed to Microsoft:
      I have to mention it again here: Under Windows 7 with MAX 2019 and VRay Next I didnt had any problems, also with 2 open sessions (my usual way of work). The CPU usage when idle with all the open programs mentioned above was 0%-1%, memory usage was 10% bigger. With Windows 10 CPU usage is between 13 and 16 % with the same load. And most important: independently how much programs were open, I had never such a loss of speed and slow reaction of windows under heavy load as under Win10/64 202H. Nice job Microsoft

Edit 21/05/06 - bought a new computer and installed all new. Former it was a 6-Core i7/3930k, now a 12-Core Ryzen 9 5900x. The idle load of MAX is now 1,0 - 1,8% per session of MAX. But the other problem with the slow CME is not really gonn (see other post).
      Last edited by 3d-laboratory; 06-05-2021, 01:09 AM.
      Workstation: Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4,20GHz 64 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000, Win10 Prof.<br>Rendernode: AMD Threadripper 2990wx 64 GB RAM, Win 10 Prof. MAX 2021.3, VRay 5 hotfix2, ForestPack, RailClone, RichDirt, KStudio ProjectManager....

Comment

Im not so sure this is a Windows 10 issue. This is a new issue with the latest Vray update. Vray Next does not have this issue nor does the Max version have anything to do with it, at least based on my tests....

Comment

Hello,

Recently we've identified and fixed an issue with high CPU usage when there's a problem connecting to the Cosmos Browser service. It is fixed in our internal builds and will soon go to the public stable builds.

In the mean time - can you check if your Cosmos Browser service is working correctly. Here are some possible steps:
          1. Open web browser and enter the URL "http://localhost:30305/"
          2. If you get the cosmos UI, click the menu "..." at the top right, click "About", copy/paste the shown version/build number and post it here
          3. If you get the typical "Site can't be reached..." error - check in the windows services console if "Chaos Cosmos Browser Service" is running
          Best regards,
          Yavor
          Yavor Rubenov
          V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Quite interesting. I had an issue with long starting times of MAX. Found out, that this was related to the Cosmos Browser and absent internet connection. According to a hint from Aleksandar (https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...tion-is-absent) I disabled the correponding service. This service is also deactivated after updating to VRay 5 update 1.1. I will wait for the stable build. The high CPU usage seems to slow down my workflow only a little.
            Workstation: Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4,20GHz 64 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000, Win10 Prof.<br>Rendernode: AMD Threadripper 2990wx 64 GB RAM, Win 10 Prof. MAX 2021.3, VRay 5 hotfix2, ForestPack, RailClone, RichDirt, KStudio ProjectManager....

Comment

So clicking on the link shows the site can't be reached as the service is not running. See attached.

However I can get the Cosmo Browser to work in Max by starting the "cbservice.exe" here: C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\Chaos Cosmos

At this point command prompt shows up, the CCB service still says "Stopped" but I can use the Cosmo Browser without issue.

Doing this however does fix the CPU usage issue. According to the Cosmo Browser in 3ds Max I am running: Chaos Cosmos • Build: 2021.3.22-190181
              Attached Files

Comment

I did also switch the download location for Chaos Cosmo in the config file to a local shared network server.

{"automatic_updates":true,"port":"30305","tls_port ":"30306","tls_cert_file":"","tls_cert_key":"","wo rking_dir":"X:\\3d_Models\\ChaosCosmos"}

Maybe that's a limitation?

Comment

Yes for now network locations are not supported.
                  Yavor Rubenov

Comment

I see. Not ideal for us as we have very limited local hard drive space.

I still would be interested in trying that cpu usage fix. Having to do the cbservice.exe workaround to have files on a server and the cosmo browser working is not too much of a hassle.

Comment

You are absolutely right that it is not ideal - the Cosmos team are actively working on fixing that limitation.
                      Yavor Rubenov

Comment

The latest stable nightly seems to have fixed the CPU usage issue.

Thank you!

Comment

I have a scene that is sitting idle, with 97% CPU usage. Actually, MAX seems to be frozen, so I can't do anything, except wait for the CPUs to free up. I got a MAX update yesterday, and I am running the latest V-Ray. I just heard my CPUs go quiet and I can now navigate my scene, so it is a CPU thing.
                          Bobby Parker
                          www.bobby-parker.com
                          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                          X