Hair Fur/MR Prim doesn't render when in XREF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair Fur/MR Prim doesn't render when in XREF

If I have an XREF scene with a hair/fur modifier, Vray won't render the hair in MR Prim mode. Geometry mode works though.

Can this be fixed?

Hi,
    seems that we have problem with the hair & fur when it is in an XRef scene. We have to look into it. Thanks for the info.

Best regards,
    Aleksandar
    Alexander Kazandzhiev
    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Sorry to bump this (6 years!) but afaik it isn't fixed. Is there a workaround or a better workflow ?
      Philippe Steels
      Pixelab - Blog - Flickr

Comment

Same here ! Was about to post about it.

When used in buffer mode, no problem when hair is contained in an Xref scene.

When in mr prim mode, it doesn't work, but only on localhost ! Using DR, all DR node buckets are fine (tested with multiple nodes), with the exception of the local buckets.

All tested with 3ds Max 2016 and Vray 3.60.04 (same for all nodes).

Comment

Hi,
          Not sure if this is directly related but I just had to do a job with hair/fur modifier (not an x-ref though) and when applied to mesh it rendered fine even through backburner. However a more complex hair modifier applied to a spline cage kept giving different results when rendering(flickering hair etc), missing large chunks of the hair, or a lot of the time just not rendering anything at all. Just to meet a deadline I had to export it to mesh and bloated a 20mb file to 1gb. I tried buffer, geometry and MR prim, nothing seemed to work reliably.
          anthonyh

Comment

Hi, I just looked again into this, the problem is that we are using an undocumented Hair and Fur interface to obtain the hair data. So there is a problem when exporting from XRef scene, the exported data just doesn't have any hair data in it. I am waiting for details on the interface if there can something be done about it.

Best regards,
            Alexander
            Alexander Kazandzhiev
            V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Working...
            X