Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Rt problems

Dear Customer Service

I have some problems with the vray RT engine using cuda render. I have 3x970 gtx sli nvidia cards. Its the latest built vray supporting maxwell cards.

Is there any reason why vray doesn't save alpha channel when I use the frame buffer in vray Rt? I have to set the alpha as a render element as a workaround or not use frame buffer, then it saves it with the tiff.

Vray Rt doesn't see visibility right? Even though there is an invisible object (not hidden) vray rt renders it. It has some problem with the slice modifier too, is there a reason for this or they are just bugs/unsupported features?

Vray Rt does support hdri images for GI reflections as I saw but I cant make the hdri image intensity higher or lower. Even if I set it to 0 it does nothing to the image. I tried it in the material editor, and I tried it in the environment settings, nothing happened.

Kind of a serious issue: I try to create a small animation which I can see in my 3d tv. I set the stereo/additional displays to side by side. Its not working when I save the frames as jpgs. It does not save stereo images as jpg even though it set to side by side. If I try to save them as a tiff file it does some funny stuff. It creates the first frame fine like 2560*720 for the two images side by side that's fine, however for the second frame it doubles the width of the image so its 5120*720. With each frame it doubles the width.. and it freezes at some point. The other part of the image is just blank space.

Is this a bug? Is there a workaround or any kind of solutions? It does this with vray and max frame buffer as well. Is there a specific image format I have to use when I try to render out stereoscopic images?

VRayStereoscopic helper doesn't work with vray RT right?

I try to use vray Rt cuda I have 3 video cards I don't want to use the cpu for rendering.

Thanks very much!
    CPU: 5930K
    GPU: 3x970 GTX,
    MEM: 32 GB ram
    SSD

Originally posted by Dini009 View Post
    Is there any reason why vray doesn't save alpha channel when I use the frame buffer in vray Rt? I have to set the alpha as a render element as a workaround or not use frame buffer, then it saves it with the tiff.
    This appears to be a bug and will be fixed - thanks for the pointer.

Vray Rt doesn't see visibility right? Even though there is an invisible object (not hidden) vray rt renders it.
    This is unfortunately not supported for the moment, though it is on the "to do" list.

It has some problem with the slice modifier too, is there a reason for this or they are just bugs/unsupported features?
    What kind of problem? Would it be possible to send us a scene to support@chaosgroup.com for this so that we can check what's wrong?

Vray Rt does support hdri images for GI reflections as I saw but I cant make the hdri image intensity higher or lower. Even if I set it to 0 it does nothing to the image. I tried it in the material editor, and I tried it in the environment settings, nothing happened.
    I'm not sure if this a bug or unsupported - will check it out. Again, thanks for reporting!

Kind of a serious issue: I try to create a small animation which I can see in my 3d tv. I set the stereo/additional displays to side by side. Its not working when I save the frames as jpgs. It does not save stereo images as jpg even though it set to side by side. If I try to save them as a tiff file it does some funny stuff. It creates the first frame fine like 2560*720 for the two images side by side that's fine, however for the second frame it doubles the width of the image so its 5120*720. With each frame it doubles the width.. and it freezes at some point. The other part of the image is just blank space.
    Some file formats will work better than others, I think PNG should be fine. We cannot fix this for all formats unfortunately. Originally this feature was meant only for previews and we may have to disable it when V-Ray RT is used as a production renderer. This is because we modify the output image size after the rendering has started and 3ds Max doesn't like it.

VRayStereoscopic helper doesn't work with vray RT right?
    No, it doesn't work yet, though it should be easy to fix it.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Last edited by vlado; 21-11-2014, 11:02 PM.
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado

Is there a way to produce 3d stereoscopic renders with vray Rt at all? Do you have any tutorials somewhere or description?

Can you tell me why its rendering like this? The first render is good, then it doubles the width of the picture with each frame.

Thanks,

Denes

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	854691
      Last edited by Dini009; 22-11-2014, 02:04 AM.
      SSD

Comment

Can you tell me why its rendering like this? The first render is good, then it doubles the width of the picture with each frame.
        It's a bug obviously Will be fixed.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Thanks Vlado for coming back to me especially during weekend.

Vray is a really super tool and I greatly appreciate the hard work you guys put into this render engine and support. Obviously you are one of the best in the world in this field.

I've got a 30 days full free product from you just to test out on my machine because I intend to buy one of course.

However, I am sorry to say but I have some seconds thoughts here using the full product for only two days. (so far I only used the demo ones) and other render engines.

I am going to buy it that is for sure, because I don't really have a choice here, there are no good render engines you are the best and 750 euro is kind of a good deal for me.

However, loads of things just don't work, I asked a few questions and all of my problems appear to be a bug here. I want to render frames with my 3 way sli which is way faster than cpu and that is the reason I bought them. GPU render is the future for small businesses I think. However vray rt which I need the most, seems only half finished for me, I dont use the cpu render at all. I just don't understand why chaos group releases something if its not ready, I mean for example here is the stereoscopic render for vray rt, sure there is the option for it but its not working. Its like buying a car from the store for full price but half of the engine and some electronics are not working in it. You wouldn't buy that car. I understand that there are thousands of options and every user have different needs and literally millions of way using all the software vray is compatible with and really hard to fix all those bugs. I understand that and as I said I appreciate the work you put into it, but please look at this from my point of view. I have to spend money but even if I do, I will get a product where the stuff I need, just don't work properly, and they "will be fixed". I cant say this to my clients, that "sorry your video is not ready but don't worry vray surely come up with a fix to this bug in the next few weeks."

Again, dont mean to offend here or anything, I love your engine and you guys doing what you do, but still.. I am new to this product and dont know how things work around here.

Thanks again,

Denes
          SSD

Comment

Is there any reason why I cant change the shadow intensity in vray rt? I cant even turn them on or off, not in the global switches panel not in the light settings. I want to lower the shadow opacity but it doesn't let me.

I use an omni light with vrayshadow but no matter what I try to change in the shadow parameters its just stays the same if I render it with cuda. I tried to use different render elements so I can lower the shadow opacity manually but vray rt doesn't want to render vray passes as well. For total light and vray shadow it gives me a black picture.

Thanks,

Denes
            Last edited by Dini009; 23-11-2014, 10:26 AM.
            SSD

Comment

...I love your engine and you guys doing what you do, but still.. I am new to this product and dont know how things work around here...
              Hi Denes, perhaps I can help you a bit regarding how things "work around here" I have been using RT since its inception and as I see it anyway, Vray RT is not yet the primary renderer in the Vray suite of tools. The original Vray renderer is basically that. RT is something that many of us see as a work in progress. Many folks, depending on their rendering needs, can use RT for production already, but there are still plenty out there that cannot. Regarding its "early" release, I would suspect that it would most likely be impossible for the Vray development team to make RT absolutely complete in every way and still have time to develop the original Vray and keep it up to date. That is why it was released (so we could start using it!) and many of us consider it to be a work in progress, and a fantastic one at that. I would have hated to wait until it was absolutely complete before getting to use it - we'd still be waiting! So I hope this clears things up a little. I hope no one sold you on RT as being an absolutely finished product, as that would have been a bit mis-leading in my opinion. Vlado and his team improve RT constantly, and I have found many work-arounds so I can render in RT. For Max's invisibility keys for instance, I have used a Vray Color in the opacity slot and animated the color between black and white over two consecutive frames to simulate the invisibility keys. I truly hope you find a way to keep using Vray! It's probably the best-supported piece of software I have ever used, and I have been using 3D software since 1984. -Alan PS - please excuse the lack of line spacing in this post as the forum software for some reason suddenly will not respect my Enter key!
              Last edited by Alan Iglesias; 24-11-2014, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks very much for your answer Alan. I see what you are trying to say, and it gives me a little hope but also is going to make me sad. I want to buy vray but only for the vray rt part. I do not have interest in cpu rendering because its slow and outdated in my opinion, and why should I render with my cpu when I have three videos cards? So this is the problem, I have to pay the full price for vray even though I wont ever use the part of this engine which is "completed" and working properly. I shall pay the full price for vray rt when its not even ready. I wanted to build a pc especially for gpu rendering because countless videos, and articles etc proves that its the future and that its way faster. Which is true. I really have to think about this, as I can see loads of changes happening and fixes are really fast with chaos group so I still have hope.
                SSD

Comment

If you are only going to use V-Ray for GPU rendering, then for the moment you are right about having second thoughts; things are getting better for sure, especially with the upcoming service pack, but it is still behind in features compared to the production V-Ray. However, as more and more people start using GPUs, I'm sure the two will get quite close.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

...why should I render with my cpu when I have three videos cards?

...etc, proves that it is the future...
                    You answered your own question, Denes, and you are quite correct....GPU rendering is the future!

Heck, I'd love to run out and buy 3 video cards and expect to have an absolutely complete rendering solution too, but for much of what many folks need for highly versatile production rendering, I am afraid we are just not quite there yet. I'm sorry that you were mislead by all those articles and videos.

Fact is, I can assure you that CPU rendering is no where near outdated yet, so there is honestly no reason to not be interested in it. I invite you to join many of us and use Vray and eventually become a person who uses the GPU for 100% of all his production rendering. I look forward very much to that day myself.

Best of luck to you,

-Alan

Comment

I think that's enough for me.. I need a render engine that is for sure, and even though its "still behind" as you said its already way faster for me than the production render. Now I can experience first hand just how effective and fast your support is.

I m sure I''ll have more questions thought
                      SSD

Comment

Thanks Alan

I think I can get on board with vray rt now, as its developing fast enough here, I have been here only a week and already vray released two nightly builds with a lot of bug fixes.

I'll keep you guys posted anyway, thanks for all your help!

Denes
                        SSD

Comment

I installed vray 3.1, I saw you had loads of fixes, even my alpha channel problem is solved only problem is that vray rt rendering is not working properly. I had to downgrade to 25280.

The problem with the new one that the rendering starts, it loads a bit, then the loading starts again, my vga cards are just a bit used for like 5 sec then again it stops meanwhile black screen no live update.
                          SSD

Comment

Yes, it's still WIP.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

Thanks Vlado, hope Im not annoy you)

Have a nice evening!

Denes
                              SSD

Comment

Working...
                              X