VrayClipper seems to have issues with sweep objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayClipper seems to have issues with sweep objects

I'm creating an image of a home cinema and I am experimenting with the vrayclipper object to cut away one of the walls. It works quite wekk.

However, it seems to be giving me an 'imprint' of some of the objects that shouldn't be visible. The objects on which this happens are the splines with sweep modifiers on them.

Any ideas/solutions? I'd like to keep them as sweep objects rather than collapse to a mesh.

-------------
    Update: it seems not to be the sweep objects. Possibly something to do with coplanar edges on objects...am investigating.
    Last edited by tricky; 29-06-2015, 05:26 AM. Reason: correction
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	ClipperIssueCrop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	856436
    Mmm. Not sure why this is happening or how to solve it. I can obviously paint out the problems in post, but I'd rather not have that extra work.
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket

Comment

A quick search of the forum found the suggestion to swith off Embree. This seems to work! TBH I don't even know what embree means or does, but it makes me think we shouldn't be using it at all?
      Kind Regards,
      Richard Birket

Comment

You should generally be using it as it speeds up rendering quite a bit If you can get us a scene that we can investigate for this issue, it would be very very helpful - ideally we want Embree to work in all cases.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          You should generally be using it as it speeds up rendering quite a bit If you can get us a scene that we can investigate for this issue, it would be very very helpful - ideally we want Embree to work in all cases.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          Send me an email to use and I'll email a link to an archive of the scene.
          Kind Regards,
          Richard Birket

Comment

i know its not a direct answer to your problem (which you seem to have found) but i was in a similar situation recently, doing a cutaway, and i was determined to use vrayclipper.

however the inability to see the clip in the viewport ( it was complex, with several different depths, and the client wanted to see and adjust) and the large increase in rendertime, lead me to fall back on Scalpel, the ancient Cabas plugin. This pugin impresses me every time i use it. handles large volumes of complex geometry quickly, it rarely fails (a few small bits without end capping, out of several thousand objects) and its relatively cheap.

cant recommend enough.

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
              i know its not a direct answer to your problem (which you seem to have found) but i was in a similar situation recently, doing a cutaway, and i was determined to use vrayclipper.

however the inability to see the clip in the viewport ( it was complex, with several different depths, and the client wanted to see and adjust) and the large increase in rendertime, lead me to fall back on Scalpel, the ancient Cabas plugin. This pugin impresses me every time i use it. handles large volumes of complex geometry quickly, it rarely fails (a few small bits without end capping, out of several thousand objects) and its relatively cheap.

cant recommend enough.
              Yes, we have Scalpal and it is amazingly resilient. However, this current project seems to work quite nicely with the vrayclipper (as long as we don't need embree!). The cinema room is a very simple scheme.
              Kind Regards,
              Richard Birket

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
                Send me an email to use and I'll email a link to an archive of the scene.
                Same ones as always - either support@chaosgroup.com or vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Same ones as always - either support@chaosgroup.com or vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  OK - I just recall trying to email you at some point in the past and the mailbox was full. Thought I'd check.
                  Kind Regards,
                  Richard Birket

Comment

OK - I just recall trying to email you at some point in the past and the mailbox was full. Thought I'd check.
                    Must have been the forum private messages... I don't think my email inbox can get full...

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Must have been the forum private messages... I don't think my email inbox can get full...

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      Could be that. Email sent.
                      Kind Regards,
                      Richard Birket

Comment

Hi,

I think the problem in your scene is overlapping faces. What is your V-Ray version ? In 3.20 VRayClipper is modded to be more friendly with overlapping geometry.
                        If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                        Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by slizer View Post
                          Hi,

I think the problem in your scene is overlapping faces. What is your V-Ray version ? In 3.20 VRayClipper is modded to be more friendly with overlapping geometry.
                          OK, so Embree is more sensitive to coplanar faces?

The pieces of geometry are extruded volumes (created in Autocad) that are then 'sliced' for the different wall elements. There is therefore a duplicate face where the slicing plane is. However, this should be out of shot as the clipper cuts all of this out of view.
                          Kind Regards,
                          Richard Birket

Comment

OK, so Embree is more sensitive to coplanar faces?

The pieces of geometry are extruded volumes (created in Autocad) that are then 'sliced' for the different wall elements. There is therefore a duplicate face where the slicing plane is. However, this should be out of shot as the clipper cuts all of this out of view.
                            Yes, but as I told you in V-Ray 3.2 Embree and VRayClipper should work much better together.
                            If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                            Chaos

Comment

Hello,

We have tried using Vray Clipper. Guess everybody is aware that depending on system units - cm, m, inches, the accuracy varies a lot. We had a scene modeled in cm, with coplanar faces of different objects, lying at same plane , on "theory".
                              Embree option being turned off worked partially - we still got some strange artifacts. Then we put the same objects in a scene with system units set to meters - no objects/ faces change at all, again with embree option turned off - artifacts were gone.
                              3ds max Design 2014 here! Constantly get accuracy issues! Guess this leads to problems with clipper. Maybe clipper needs to have sort of threshold, depending on scene units ?!
                              Last edited by KOLIBA; 01-07-2015, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X