Vray 3.3 - CUDA not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 3.3 - CUDA not working

Hello, this is the message I've got after installing vray 3.3 on max 2016 for test purpose.
    error: Cannot initialize CUDA! No CUDA devices are available!
    warning: initDevices() failed. Please check that your system has compatible GPU devices installed.

The same workstation is working fine with max 2014 and Vray 3.2!

there is probably something to tweak, but I don't really now what.

Thanks

Ok, sounds like it is an Nvidia driver issues.
    What driver are compatible with Vray 3.3 and max 2016?
    I do not want to take the risk to break down the workstation by trying different driver.

Comment

Do you have another primary GPU (Intel or AMD)?

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	859065
        No,
        2 GTX780 and one 670.

Driver installed: 352.86.
        Last edited by fraggle; 01-12-2015, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Same issue here, computer with a single GTX 760.

Comment

can it be the same issues than for Iray?
            https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...h-3ds-Max.html

I hope not, because I'm not willing to spend 1 days and mess up all the OS.

Comment

There is a tool named ocldeviceselect.exe that comes with the V-Ray installation. Can you start it and check if it finds the GPUs ?
              V-Ray fan.
              Looking busy around GPUs ...
              RTX ON

Comment

Originally posted by savage309 View Post
                There is a tool named ocldeviceselect.exe that comes with the V-Ray installation. Can you start it and check if it finds the GPUs ?
                Yes, they are there and selected.

Comment

Okay in that case the OS can see the GPUs so the problem comes from Max. The stable build will have an option to start the GPU out-of-process (meaning in a console, just like before 3.30) and it will work for your case. You can do the same now manually (start "./vray.exe -server" and from RT Settings turn on Distributed Rendering, uncheck "Use local host" and add 127.0.0.1 as server IP).

Until the stable version comes along .. the issue might be the same as the IRay one. Is it possible for you to follow the instructions for IRay to see if it will help (V-Ray RT GPU in 3.30 works fine with all new drivers, so you can update to the latest one).
                  V-Ray fan.
                  RTX ON

Comment

Okay in that case the OS can see the GPUs so the problem comes from Max. The stable build will have an option to start the GPU out-of-process (meaning in a console, just like before 3.30) and it will work for your case. You can do the same now manually (start "./vray.exe -server" and from RT Settings turn on Distributed Rendering, uncheck "Use local host" and add 127.0.0.1 as server IP).

Until the stable version comes along .. the issue might be the same as the IRay one. Is it possible for you to follow the instructions for IRay to see if it will help (V-Ray RT GPU in 3.30 works fine with all new drivers, so you can update to the latest one).
                    Is there a way to do it inside a UI, I even don't know own to start ./vray.exe -serve. When I type it in the command line, it show me vray.exe, so I start it but then a command line windows appear for fex second then disapear, so I can't enter the RT setting.

As for the Autodesk turnarround, I will prefer, if possible, to keeep going on with the stable config I have now.
                    Thanks
                    Thanks

Comment

Hum, now, max 2016 start alone and every time I killed it, it start again. Is it consequently to the ./vray.exe -serve?
                      In fact I do have now a vray spawner running, seems that I've done something wrong by clicking on vray.exe.
                      Last edited by fraggle; 01-12-2015, 05:13 AM.

Comment

For the stable version there will be a UI button.

For now, you can either navigate to the V-Ray install path (by default C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\RT for 3ds Max 2016 for x64\bin), open a console there and type "./vray -server" or find the "Launch V-Ray render slave" from the Windows start menu (screenshot attached).

Name:	win_start.png
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	859067
                        V-Ray fan.
                        RTX ON

Comment

I updated the driver to the last one (359) but it doesn't change anything.
                          No device are listed in the V-Ray RT.

Comment

Name:	Screenshot_3.jpg
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	859068
                            For the stable version there will be a UI button.

For now, you can either navigate to the V-Ray install path (by default C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\RT for 3ds Max 2016 for x64\bin), open a console there and type "./vray -server" or find the "Launch V-Ray render slave" from the Windows start menu (screenshot attached).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27226[/ATTACH]
                            I don't have this shortcut on my workstation neither the command prompt C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\RT for 3ds Max 2016 for x64\bin ./vray -server return an unknown command.
                            Last edited by fraggle; 01-12-2015, 05:54 AM. Reason: add screenshot

Comment

Yes if you run the command from arbitrary place it will need to be formatted like that (mind the quotes)
                              "C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\RT for 3ds Max 2016 for x64\bin\vray" -server
                              If this doesn't work, please check for "Launch V-Ray render slave" shortcut located in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Chaos Group\V-Ray for Maya 2016 for x64".

p.s. or just wait for the stable, where we will have a UI button for that
                              V-Ray fan.
                              RTX ON

Comment

Working...
                              X