Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two fixes and the VrayCurvature Map will be awesome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two fixes and the VrayCurvature Map will be awesome!

Hey Vlado. So you'll remember we had this thread where we were finding a lot of strangeness with the vrayCurvature map:

http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...ature-Feedback

The thread kind of ended with you saying that the raytraced technique itself may be the problem and you might just remove it from the UI. Well, another user poked me and gave me some extra info, and I did some more testing, and it turns out that all of the problems we experienced with the map are basically due to two issues. Here's the issues...

1) Concave and convex curvature generate the same color. See enclosed image curtain.jpg. What I would expect would be the concave areas would be blue, the flat areas red, and the convex areas yellow. In the vraycurvature map, curved areas are yellow and flat areas are blue. There are many instances where you want to label the convex and concave areas differently to apply different effects (like scratches on convex and dirt in concave).

2) Sample spread appears to be in world space. A lot of artifacts in our example images seem to be caused by this. See attached images Scaledifference A and B. A is vraycurvature, which has the screws all black, because the screws are much smaller than the size of the larger cylinders, and so setting the sample spread for the larger cylinders makes that value too large for the screws. Image B was generated using the boomerlabs curvature plugin, which gives much more expected results, based solely on curvature and not on object size.

So, are these two issues easily solvable? Because if they are, we can use the vraycurvature to replace the need for the other techniques out there, which would be incredibly useful to everyone. Thoughts?

- Neil
    Attached Files

Ok, will see what can be done about it.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Awesome, thank you vlado. if you need any test scenes or testing done, I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

- Neil

PS: I'll post the mesh for the Sample spread issue tonight.
      Last edited by soulburn3d; 12-01-2016, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Attached is a max file, 2014, that's my test file for exploring the Sample spread issue.

- Neil
        Attached Files

Comment

Not sure if this is being looked at but I've got a job starting now that it'd be amazingly useful for - it's a very geometry heavy kitbash type object so it might be impossible to uvmap within the schedule we have til delivery!

Comment

+1 Also making it work with changing topology meshes would be awesome, right now it instantly crashes Vray and 3dsmax.

Comment

Originally posted by Moriah View Post
              +1 Also making it work with changing topology meshes would be awesome, right now it instantly crashes Vray and 3dsmax.
              I don't know if that's due to the curvature texture; it's totally oblivious of the mesh topology.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                I don't know if that's due to the curvature texture; it's totally oblivious of the mesh topology.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                It happened 2 or 3 times, when we sent the job to the network it crashed all slaves as soon as it started rendering. I turned curvature off and everything was fine. Locally it worked fine by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Moriah View Post
                  It happened 2 or 3 times, when we sent the job to the network it crashed all slaves as soon as it started rendering. I turned curvature off and everything was fine. Locally it worked fine by the way.
                  Would it be possible to get an example scene that crashes?

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

Working...
                  X