Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-ray 3.60.01/2 - extremely slow render time

Dear Chaos Groups support team,
    I am opening this thread to ask for you assistance with some difficulties we have after installing a new version of V-ray
    Last weekend we underwent software updates on all our workstations and render farm nodes. What we have installed is:
    • RailClone 3.0.7
    • ForestPack 5.4.0
    • V-ray 3.60.01
    • Autodesk 3ds Max 2017.2 Update
    After the updates we are experiencing major issues with tremendous negative impact on our workflow. I will describe the problems below.
    Note ? we are using Deadline render manager - V8.
    Note ? all of the below issues apply both on rendering Frames from animation and Tiles.

1. The rendering fails to start - Process hangs on "Compiling geometry". In most cases it occurs when compiling RailClone objects. Roughly 3 out of 4 frames hang in this state and it stays like this for hours, until manually stopped. When requeueing the task through Deadline, the frame starts normally but often renders without the RailClone objects.
    Plugins used in the scene - RailClone, ForestPack, CityTraffic2.

2. Recurring warning message in V-ray log window.

It occurs when rendering a V-ray Proxy object. The result is an extremely slow render time with warnings counting in tens of thousands.
    Example: a Deadline Tile 1000x5000 renders for 18 hours, whereas before the update it rendered in about 20-30 minutes.
    I've attached a simple scene illustrating this. We have tested installing the latest 3.60.02 on one machine and the problem persists. The only viable workaround we have so far is to put the material assigned to the proxy in a VrayMtlWrapper. Seems to solve the issue.
    Non-viable solution we've discovered - Disabling the Vray Sun and/or other lights in the scene removes the warning. Also on some occasions when opening scenes from the previous version, the VrayMtl has the translucency drop-down menu comletely empty (no text at all) When manually setting it to "none" removes the warning message.

In addition to the above, I am listing other issues we have that we think are related to RailClone and ForestPack. I have sent this to the support team of "Itoo software" but I am posting them here as well, in case it is of any help or if the cause is not on their end.
    RailClone objects fail to compile at render startup ? The scene starts loading and freezes on ?Compiling geometry ? RailCloneObjectName?. The render stays on status ?Rendering? on the deadline manager in this state for hours with no progress, until manually stopped. This problem occurs on roughly 50% of the frames. If we requeue the task, the second time it runs normally, in most cases.
    RailClone objects fail to render ? After a frame manages to pass the ?Compiling geometry? stage and starts rendering, the RailClone objects do not appear in the scene at all. For example, we are rendering an animated camera of 800 frames. In 700 of the frames RailClone objects are missing, at random.
    RailClone objects appear different in different frames ? It has occurred that in two consecutive frames from an animation one particular RailClone object renders differently. It appears as if the object uses a different algorithm when building, if that makes sense. Please see attached example.
    ForestPack objects fail to render ? Similar to RailClone, Forest objects are missing from many of the frames, at random.
    ForestPack object do not render properly ? In some instances the Forest objects render as Box objects, as displayed in the viewport. Also see attached example.
    ForestPack takes considerably more memory when rendering large areas (islands, masterplans), compared to previous versions of the software (when using high-poly v-ray proxy object for scattering). Same scene with same setup from two version behind renders with a lot less memory.

These are the major issues that we have pinpointed so far. The above issues are a cause for collateral material losses and need to be resolved as fast as possible!
    Any assistance on your part is appreciated.
    I remain at your disposal if more clarifications or sample scenes are necessary.
    Thank you in advance!
    Attached Files
    REDVERTEX
    redvertex.com

If you have access to the nightly builds, you can download 3.60.03 where this issue is fixed. We will also release an official build on the website either today or tomorrow. Many apologies for the inconvenience!

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado,

We are also having allot of these issues. How can i get access to the nightly builds?

Comment

HI again - forget my last request - I found the nightly site and we have access already.

Comment

Ok, is the issue fixed in 3.60.03?

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

I was having the same issue with a scene and ran it through 36003 and it worked just fine - thank you

Comment

Ok, good to know

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Working...
              X