Cannot render all of my frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot render all of my frames

I'm on a deadline, of course, and I'm getting crashes every time after a seemingly random number of frames. It's not a complex scene and I've gone through to check for problems.
    It's archviz exterior, just a domelight but also happens with Vray Sun&Sky.
    It happens on several releases of 3.6 and that does not seem to make any difference. I saved the Vray.log and the last line was...

[2017/Aug/16|12:19:10] Setting up 8 thread(s)
    [2017/Aug/16|12:19:23] error: UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: Rendering region (256,320)-(288,352)
    Last marker is at ./src/globillummap.cpp, line 2149: GlobalIllumMap::buildLightMap() {1}

It's happening with both Max2016 and 2018.
    Tried my own settings, the default setting, and the Quick settings, all fail in the same manner.

Help, please, if possible.
    Thanks

First I would like to know if it is possible to send the scene for investigation.
    If not maybe we have to try exclude stuff one by one in order to isolate at least in which area the culprit is but that would take some time since you have to run a separate render for each test.

Are you using something new into that scene comparing to all others that do you crash?
    Since the error is in the GlobalIllumMap, did you try to render the scene without GI?
    How long does it take to crash, a few minutes or hours?
    What's the RAM usage during the rendering?
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Yes, Svetlozar, I could send it, or upload it.

I've also tried the following so far with no success or noticeable difference...

1.) render with an override material
      2.) render with the 1 light off
      3.) render with GI off and light off
      4.) render with override, GI and light off
      5.) reset to default render settings
      6.) merge all into new scene
      7.) merge few objects into new scene
      8.)Tried all the different GI engines...
      9.) all different combinations of 1-9, with nearly all or even no, objects isolated.

-Nothing new, no plugins aside from V-Ray.
      -The 275-300 frames are taking about 25-45 seconds each.
      -Sometimes it gets through nearly 30 to 100 frames and crashes.
      -Sometimes it crashes after 1-6 frames.
      -RAM usage was just up to 4.5GB (have 32) and 4.5 Boxx CPU was not used for other tasks during rendering.
      -Rendering still images does not encounter the crashes.

Thank you

Comment

It stars to look like a bug already, after so many tweaks and still nothing.
        Please send us a link to the scene or request access to our FTP server at support@chaosgroup.com and we'll see what's going on.
        Include a link to this thread for a reference.

Comment

Thanks, email sent...

Comment

Good, we'll have a look at it and will get back to you afterwards.

Comment

well, it has also happened now in one still rendering....still awaiting the ftp access.

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post
                It stars to look like a bug already, after so many tweaks and still nothing.
                Please send us a link to the scene or request access to our FTP server at support@chaosgroup.com and we'll see what's going on.
                Include a link to this thread for a reference.
                So how long does it usually take to be given ftp access??
                Requested on 8-18-2017 and have so far only received an email confirming that I requested ftp access....still waiting, while deadline is about to be missed.

Comment

hi,
                  with a deadline approaching i`d see if you can go back to vray 3.4 and at least get the job done.
                  anthonyh

Comment

voltron7 Apologies for the delayed reply. We've sent you an e-mail with the FTP login details. Let us know when the upload is completed.
                    Miroslav Ivanov
                    Chaos Cosmos

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyh View Post
                      hi,
                      with a deadline approaching i`d see if you can go back to vray 3.4 and at least get the job done.
                      anthonyh
                      Thanks for that suggestion; I have come down with a case of deadline tunnel vision :P and never even considered going backward.
                      Best regards

Comment

We have a 3.6 crash with the same problem.

UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: Rendering region (192,96)-(240,144) Last marker is at ./src/globillummap.cpp, line 2149: GlobalIllumMap::buildLightMap() {1}
                        Last edited by im.thatoneguy; 19-03-2018, 03:34 PM.
                        Gavin Greenwalt
                        im.thatoneguy[at]gmail.com || Gavin[at]SFStudios.com
                        Straightface Studios

Comment

In the end, I used a rendering farm and they did not have any problem. I still don't know what the issue was. I hope you get a solution.
                          Best regards

Comment

Is it possible, that you are using one of the new I9 CPUs and/or you have 128GB Ram installed? I have the 7980Xe and running into the same issue on heavy scenes, all other workstations render fine.

Edit (I just saw it says setting up 8 threads, so it's probably not an I9) but do you have 128 GB RAM installed? I was able to render one of the sequences that crashed previously by bringing down the memory clockspeed.
                            Last edited by Fabian_Videocopilot; 22-03-2018, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I just have an i7 and 32 for RAM
                              Hopefully it was an isolated incident for me, but I'll be using render farms for future animations anyway...
                              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X