No announcement yet.

V-Ray 3.6 VFB hangs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had another windows update and most (90%) of my freezes have gone, although I still experience the window flashing issue

Comment

• Interesting! any idea of the specific updates that were added in? Any chance of a screen shot showing the recent ones so I can get IT to try them here?

Comment

• screen grab of my lost recent window updates
        Attached Files

Comment

• Alright, I have a scene here where I can quite constantly reproduce the behaviour. Please take a look at the following video at around 30sec. (crappy capture, I know).
          The VFB hangs just by randomly clicking the window, panning around, zooming, selecting render channels etc. The window stays semitransparent until the render finishes. Most of the time this happens right after the VFB opens and I double click to view at 100% zoom- Very annoying.
          This is Windows 7 Pro, V-Ray 3.60.03, Max 2017. Working on a Dell T7600 with DUAL Xeon 2690, 32 threads, 128GB Ram. This bug is not specific to W10 or Max 2018!

https://youtu.be/VEhgbinTtmg
          Last edited by kosso_olli; 20-11-2017, 07:14 AM.
          https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

• You can email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com for a potential work-around.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• ... just downloaded 3.60.04 and the bug is still there.

i have also completely removed the nVidia driver and reinstalled it.

it?s not funny anymore! after all the time

Max 2018.3 and vray ... no way!

Comment

• Like I said above, email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com for a possible work-around. We are trying it out with a few users, if it works successfully, we will try to integrate it into the V-Ray plugin initialization (basically we switch Qt from using OpenGL to using DirectX).

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

• Thanks, I will take the chance.

Comment

• I've just installed the latest vray build and can confirm that the issue is still present!

Comment

• Hi Everyone,

I have the same problem but I can confirm that this problem exist with the latest version of Arnold too.
                      I used the Grant Warwick free Shaderball on Vray 3.60.03 with 3dsmax 2018 update 2 and when I use Chrome or Photoshop while the render calculate my 3dsmax windows (slate editor, rendering setup,...) hangs.
                      So I tried to adapt the shader ball into Arnold version 1.2.893.(5.0.2.0)
                      and the same problem happened again.

Ps : My config is : Intel Bi xeon 2630 v4 2.20 GHz
                      2 1080 Ti without SLI

Ps : sorry for my english

Thanks a lot

Comment

• Originally posted by king_max View Post
                        I've just installed the latest vray build and can confirm that the issue is still present!
                        3.60.04 was never meant to fix this. If it was, you would see that in the changelog. Write a mail to Vlado and he will tell you what to do. It is a small thing, so you can test if it works. These guys are waiting for feedback...
                        https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

• Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post

3.60.04 was never meant to fix this. If it was, you would see that in the changelog. Write a mail to Vlado and he will tell you what to do. It is a small thing, so you can test if it works. These guys are waiting for feedback...
                          Oh, my bad. I didn't read the changelog. I was going nuts these days with ongoing projects and vfb problems I assumed the 3.60.04 solved the issue.

Comment

• OK
                            problem solved for me now

did it the hard way
                            complete new install of my workstation
                            everything works fine now

the problem is definitely not vray itself or max 2018.3 because it works now on the same workstation where i had problems before

it must be a combination of endless updates of different software incl windows (!!!) on that workstation

thanks to the guys of chaosgroup for your time
                            great support as allways

dual xeon 2670 - 980 TI - 32GB RAM - win 10 17.09 latest - 2018.3 - vray 3.60.04 - forestpro - railclone latest

i will now work with 2018.3 and report next days

Comment

• Good to know that a reinstall helped. For people that don't have that option though, we have found that the following may be helpful.

Some users have reported that setting the environment variable QT_OPENGL to "angle" (without the quotes) helps - see attachment. Note that this will affect all applications based on Qt 5 causing them to use DirectX instead of OpenGL for their UI.

Yet another batch of users reported that turning on the "low thread priority" option in the V-Ray settings, or setting the number of threads to one below the number of logical cores also helps.

Other users have reported that turning off the new Control Flow Guard option in Windows Defender may help (this is a new option in the Fall Creators' Update):
                              https://www.tenforums.com/performanc...iness-fix.html

Other users reported that the following article helped:
                              https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ade4ef8?auth=1

Best regards,
                              Vlado
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Just a note for developers.
                                Once QT_OPENGL=angle is set, all your qt5 applications will use DirectX

I have a tool that use heavy OpenGL and once the variable is set, it just show me a black window.

Here is how to force this specific app to use desktop openGL:
                                Code:
                                QtCore.QCoreApplication.setAttribute(QtCore.Qt.AA_UseDesktopOpenGL)
                                app = QtWidgets.QApplication(sys.argv)
                                This also work:
                                QtCore.QCoreApplication.setAttribute(QtCore.Qt.AA_ UseSoftwareOpenGL)

And this is the same as setting angle:
                                QtCore.QCoreApplication.setAttribute(QtCore.Qt.AA_ UseOpenGLES)

Comment

Working...
                                X