Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are my VRayMtlWrappers not working (as I expect them to !)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are my VRayMtlWrappers not working (as I expect them to !)

Using VRay ADV.

I want to render a room and matte out everything so just the skirting and door framework remain but when I make all the other materials in the scene have a VRayMtlWrapper (and set the all the Wrappers have all the same settings as below) - the frame and skirting are indeed the only objects visible in the scene (which is what I want) but very overlit as though those wrapped materials are not generating GI etc (as you can see on the left 1/2 of the image how much brighter the woodwork is to that on the right).

Can someone please enlighten me as to what I'm not doing or setting correctly please ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1092
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	987074Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1145
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	987075
    Attached Files
    Jez

------------------------------------
    3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
    Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
    ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

you need to set reflection amount to 0 if I understood correctly.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
      you need to set reflection amount to 0 if I understood correctly.

Unfortunately that's not it.

I want to have the Frame and Skirting *visible* and everything else INvisible, but of course I want the Frame and Skirting to be illuminated with shadows and reflections on it as though everything around it is still 'present'.

Does that make sense ?

(as you can see from my attachment, when I try using MaterialWrappers, yes, they are all invisible, but then the Frame and Skirting is very over exposed (almost as though it is outside and therefore overexposed to the VRay Sun).
      Last edited by JezUK; 11-03-2018, 12:24 AM.
      Jez

3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE

Comment

Well, for some reason I don't like the material wrapper. I always use the V-Ray properties, which give you the same settings.
        So, select the objects you don't want to see and open the V-Ray properties. There, only tick the matte surface checkbox, nothing else. Alpha contribution -1.0
        Set reflection, refraction and GI amount to 0.
        https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Thanks Kosso_Olli,

I really appreciate it

But when I do that to the ceiling - the place is flooded with light - I've got a VRay-Sun in there, as well as a HDR Environment on a V-Ray Dome, if that might throw some light on things..... (no pun intended)
          Jez

Comment

You don't set the objects to "Visible to Camera" off by accident, do you?
            It might as well be a bug then, although I never encountered any problems with that setup. Can you share a part of the scene? Just the doorframe with the wall next to it, perhaps?

Comment

I never use mtl wrapper. The same can be done through vray object properties. They have to be visible to camera, the rest should be exactly like you have it in vray mtl wrapper, but I suppose there might be something else going on - care to share part of this scene?
              Dmitry Vinnik
              Silhouette Images Inc.
              ShowReel:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
              https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Thanks guys,

Dmitry, I don't have a problem with sharing part of the scene, but it really is a bog standard room that's easy to set up - 4 walls, floor, ceiling all separate objects, two window openings (skylight portals for both), a dome light with a hdri in the texture slot and a VRay Sun.

When I have tried both wrapper and VRay Object Properties, it's the same issue, as soon as you take the ceiling away, then it's the Sun which is blasting the light onto that door frame and skirting, so to me that is maybe a limitation / bug / needs refining ?

All the examples I've seen where others have used wrappers etc, there is no sun in the scene, it's a simple scene with a ground plane, nothing in the Environment slot (so the surroundings are black) and so in those examples, Wrappers seem to have no issue.

That's my (limited) experience.

Thanks two you both for trying to help.

Maybe someone from Chaosgroup can chime in ?
                Last edited by JezUK; 11-03-2018, 12:26 AM.
                Jez

Comment

I just tested this, and I got the same result as Jez. The whole interior basically becomes super bright when set to matte. Super weird bug!
                  Last edited by kosso_olli; 12-03-2018, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Chaos said to disable "No GI to other mattes" but I tried this and it still didn't work for me - so I have sent them the file and I will share the solution once I have it.

Thanks guys for trying to help - I appreciate it.
                    Jez

Comment

Originally posted by JezUK View Post
                      Chaos said to disable "No GI to other mattes" but I tried this and it still didn't work for me
                      Doesn't work here either. Anyway, I am curious what the solution is.

Comment

Tested with Beta2 and I get same "broken" results as Jez
                        Kind Regards,
                        Morne

Comment

The wall (and some other geometry) had VRayProperties set to Matte with "No GI to other mattes" enabled which overrides the wrapper Mtl assigned to them.
                          Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
                          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks for your help Zdravko,

Here are the settings that were recommended by Chaos;

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrapper-Settings.JPG
Views:	1088
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	987790
                            Jez

Comment

Working...
                            X