• Show
Clear All

• 3dsmax 2013 unicode

3dsmax 2013 uses unicode

Why don't vray use unicode?

MeshFile::init(const char *fname)
    sorry for my English

Another question
    Is it possible to compile VRay plugins for previous 3ds max versions with VS2010?
    I have got several errors like

meshes_s.lib(mesh_file.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __cdecl std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >(char const *)" (__imp_??0?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V? $allocator@D@2@@std@@QEAA@PEBD@Z)
    Last edited by Karba; 20-05-2012, 02:41 AM.
    sorry for my English

Comment

This is a limitation of the MAX SDK as well. You can use daffodil to target older VS versions from 2010. This does not support VS2008 tho, so that only works for Max 2009 and older.

http://daffodil.codeplex.com/

Kind Regards,
      Thorsten

Comment

Originally posted by Karba View Post
        Why don't vray use unicode?
        We do use Unicode; only we opted to keep the V-Ray core UTF-8 (char's) instead of UTF-16 (wchar's). The vrender_unicode.h header file includes macros for converting between the two.

MeshFile::init(const char *fname)
        The fname string is a UTF-8 encoded Unicode string.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        Last edited by vlado; 20-05-2012, 08:14 AM.
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by Karba View Post
          Is it possible to compile VRay plugins for previous 3ds max versions with VS2010?
          Yes (we do this all the time here), however you need to include/link against the run-time libraries of the Visual Studio version with which the respective 3ds Max release was compiled.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Interessting! Do you guys use installed versions of VS in order to do that, or is the respective PSDK sufficient?

Comment

Originally posted by instinct View Post
              Interessting! Do you guys use installed versions of VS in order to do that, or is the respective PSDK sufficient?
              Yes, you need to have the older VS versions (at the very least, the include/lib files). The Platform SDK is not enough - it only contains the Windows headers and libraries, but not the standard C and C++ ones.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Dang. Was affraid that would be the case. VS 2005 is pretty incredibly expensive if you can get it at all these days. But still needed for some stuff (Max 2008 / Nuke plugins).

Regards,
                Thorsten

Comment

I believe the free VS 2005 Express version + Platform SDK could be used to compile 3ds Max 9/2008 plugins.
                  I compile all psd-manager versions from within VS 2010 using Daffodil (so also 3ds Max 9 + 2008 )

Daniel
                  Daniel Schmidt - Developer of psd-manager

Comment

Does the Express edition include the 64-bit compiler and libraries now? (It didn't last time I checked but that was a while ago.)

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                      Does the Express edition include the 64-bit compiler and libraries now? (It didn't last time I checked but that was a while ago.)

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I think atleast back then the 64-bit compiler was in the Platform SDK. I'm not using the Express version myself.

Daniel
                      Daniel Schmidt - Developer of psd-manager

Comment

One day, we'll be using c# to do this stuff and it won't be nearly as godawful.

Comment

Working...
                        X