Lock camera to view button on the frame buffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock camera to view button on the frame buffer

Hi, what do you guys think if Chaos added a button to lock the camera to the current view on the Vray frame buffer ?

It is annoying to always go to the render settings and click on the lock icon, to lock camera to the render view.

just an idea, probably stupid but who knows.

kind regards

Surely to render an image, you would initially have opened the Render Settings dialog, so you then lock the camera view there and job done.. Besides opening the render setting dialog to lock it, really won't take any longer than pressing a button in the vray frame buffer.. To be honest, even if they added one, many people would simply forget it's there, just as they forget to lock the view in the render settings.. Not a stupid idea, but for me at least, it wouldn't really save any time. What I would prefer, is a single button press to lock the camera and it's target, so they cannot be accidentally moved, maybe someone knows of a script for that.

Comment

No that is not always the case. Many times when im just testing stuff out i create a camera and start the ipr and start my lookdev. I only go in render settings when im going to do a final render. Its also something my students always forget to do. Lock the camera to view.

Comment

Whenever I start the initial IPR session I open the render setting dialog. The VFB then opens and yes from there, I can use the IPR button from the frame buffer.. Anyway, I don't think, at least for me, that having to open the render setting dialog, to lock the camera view, is that much of a hassle.. Let's be honest, if you forget to do it from the render settings dialog, what's to say you won't forget to hit a button in the fame buffer, especially with so many of us being used to using the render setting dialog, adding a new button in the frame buffer, may sound like a cool feature, but I wonder how many will forget it's there, due to their habit of using the button they already have, in the render settings dialog. It's down to practice, keep doing it often enough and you eventually end up doing it on autopilot... One thing I dislike is adding countless buttons to a window, as it just makes the usable area smaller and smaller. I have a dual monitor system and I like to have al the dialog boxes on one monitor and then I have more viewport estate. Same would be nice for the, for the VFB, to have al those buttons in a dialog box, that you could separate from the frame buffer window. Yes Vray 5 has made the Frame Buffer more streamlined, but it would be better, from my point of view, to have a floating render window, with al the controls in a floating dialog box, especially useful for thooe with dual monitors.

Anyway, as I said, your idea is not a stupid one and for you maybe it would make things a little easier, but I still think you would be just as likely to forget it, as you do now.. hey if they add a button for it, I am sure there will be many others that will find it useful. This is just my opinion

Comment

It is an hassle because 3dsmax's interface is slow, between opening changing and closing it takes 6-8 secs. On top of that, we could not only lock the cam inside the VFB, but also change to another camera. Kinda like RS does it and i use it all the time.

Comment

You can easily script locking the view...
            Code:
            rendUseActiveView=false
            Just drag it to a regular max toolbar. Modify as necessary to unlock as well.
            www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Thank you for all the replies and your opinions! Also thank you for the script!

Comment

Kind of related to this thread, we've added camera switchers in the VFB -

Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_cK4rXn97CT.png
Views:	1516
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	1094458
                If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                Chaos

Comment

thank you!

Comment

Added to what Peter said, there's a plan to add locking of the IPR view to a long right mouse button press on the icon (this one, for cameras only, is on the left mouse button long press, and won't lock views).
                    Would something like that work?
                    Lele
                    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                    ----------------------
                    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Yes, that would be perfect. Is that camera switcher on the recent nightlies?

Thank you !

Comment

Originally posted by slizer View Post
                        Kind of related to this thread, we've added camera switchers in the VFB -

Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_cK4rXn97CT.png
Views:	1516
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	1094458
                        Is it a new version? I was looking for ability to choose the renderable camera from the VFB since long time. (like it is in Maya)
                        I still can't find it now… 2 months later…
                        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by BeneZ View Post

Is it a new version? I was looking for ability to choose the renderable camera from the VFB since long time. (like it is in Maya)
                          I still can't find it now… 2 months later…
                          Thanks
                          It's in the upcoming Update 1 at the end of this month.

Peter Matanov
                          Chaos

Comment

Please enable, too, that after the rendering has started, it keeps the same camera, whatever is done meanwhile in the viewport.

A common workflow when rendering in IPR is of course to do changes in the scene, like moving objects in the background...
                            which requires to switch to a fast usable working camera (= not a vray camera).
                            It absolutely makes no sense that a render is bound to a „viewport-quad“, forcing you to switch to 4-camera-viewport, and to „mess up“ an othogonal view with a second perspective camera.

In a nutshell: Please compare to vray in Maya, everything with cameras is IMHO solved there much better, also the natural navigation
                            thanks!

Comment

We've tried to make the whole thing consistent between IPRs in V-Ray and V-Ray GPU, so when you use the "View to Render" lock in Render Setup, it will behave as you described.

Peter Matanov
                              Chaos

Comment

Working...
                              X