Attenuation on V-Ray lights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soulburn3d View Post
    BTW, I apologize if my last message came off as too snarky. I would love to use VrayRT in production, but since it is still not compatible with a number of key max features/plugins, I am unable to use it, hence why things like viewport gizmos are still important.
    <shrug>It's good enough to show you the light falloff. It's not like you get all that stuff in the viewport either.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by soulburn3d View Post
      While that is a workaround, that sounds way overly complex to me.
      It's not even a workaround, it's just a way of using rt. i wouldn't dream of rendering in it but it is pretty useful when working on complicated materials.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        <shrug>It's good enough to show you the light falloff.
        Well, I'll give it some tests to see if it will work for my purposes, but I'd still hope to have some simple viewport gizmos since I think that will give the fastest feedback. I do hope that one day we get to the point where I can use vrayRT to basically replace the viewport and replace using the final renderer for interactive tweaking. I know there's a lot of work that needs to be done first.

- Neil

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          ...What we will probably add, is the ability to use a mask texture for the lighting, which simply modulates the light intensity depending on the texture. Then you could use a Falloff map in distance mode, or a VRayDistance texture to do all kinds of fun stuff. This should be much more flexible than a mere attenuation.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          Hi, this trick about a map for control the light attenuation is already implemented?
          I've try with last vray version but without result!

Some advice?
          www.kodocreation.com

Comment

Nope, not yet.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Bump! I could use this right now.

Comment

Artistic control over light flow is definitely something we want to see added, too. It gives just so much creative control. We use this very often along with the Standard Spot lights. They don't behave as nice in reflections though so having this in native VRayLights would definitely be a big big plus, even if it would mean having to do this with an extra light, like a "VRayCustomFallofLight" or something like that, although it is not preferable :P
                Software:
                Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
                3ds Max 2016 SP4
                V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
                Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
                NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
                64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

+1
                  Controling attenuation like in the standered lights would be great!
                  -------------------------------------------------------------
                  Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
                  Sketchbook-1 /Sketchbook-2 / Behance / Facebook

Comment

Working...
                  X