VrayMultiSubTex should be able to use User Defined Properties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayMultiSubTex should be able to use User Defined Properties

Instead of just Material ID or Object ID, I'd like to be able to key off the value of any User Defined Property. That way, I can have a bunch of named properties assigned to a set of objects, and switch maps based on this. So for example I can have a bunch of rocks, and have one property called "RockColor" and one called "RockBump", assign specific integer values to these properties, and then hook them up to 2 different VrayMultiSubTex maps to choose the appropriate maps for the object for both color and bump. Thanks!

- Neil

The next beta of V-Ray 3.0 includes two new textures, VRayUserColor and VRayUserScalar which can read object properties. So we just need to add the possibility to use the scalar one as input to VRayMultiSubTex.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

What a great idea, never thought of that!

Comment

Btw if you just want to load different bitmaps on different objects, you can already use tags in the bitmap file name, which are read from the object's user properties.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          The next beta of V-Ray 3.0 includes two new textures, VRayUserColor and VRayUserScalar which can read object properties. So we just need to add the possibility to use the scalar one as input to VRayMultiSubTex.
          That would be fantastic, thanks!

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          Btw if you just want to load different bitmaps on different objects, you can already use tags in the bitmap file name, which are read from the object's user properties.
          Hmm, didn't know you could do that. Is there a explanation or tutorial somewhere on how to do this? I couldn't find mention of it in the help file.

But doing the original wish would still be helpful in case you want to use a map chain instead of just a bitmap.

- Neil

Comment

Hi,
            I am interested in this method too.
            A tutorial would be great!
            for my blog and tutorials:
            www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

Putting something up on vimeo now, should be encoded in a few hours.

Comment

Or maybe a bit quicker than that - only the SD version while the HD encodes - https://vimeo.com/100399778

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                  Or maybe a bit quicker than that - only the SD version while the HD encodes - https://vimeo.com/100399778
                  Very useful, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                    Thanks a lot for this tutorial, it helps a lot.
                    But as far as I understand, it is not possible to randomize the tag- no?
                    www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

You can use my IDSetter script to set random values for a user defined property.

- Neil

Comment

I was just about to sneak in here with a little free script for the day....

--randomize UserProperty Tag per object in selection.
                        --you can change the name of the property and the array of items to choose from
                        userProp = "colour"
                        propTags = #("Red","Green","Blue")

for o in selection do
                        (
                        setUserProp o userProp propTags[(random 1 propTags.count)]
                        )
                        Maxscript made easy....
                        davewortley.wordpress.com
                        Follow me here:
                        facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Originally posted by soulburn3d View Post
                          You can use my IDSetter script to set random values for a user defined property.

- Neil
                          Thanks a lot but one thing is still confusing for me. If we go from the example in video, we write colour=blue(or red or green) for each object under properties.
                          Then if we assign object ID for this property , what should we write under user defined properties? I mean if we write colour=red, wil it randomize ?
                          www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_Wortley View Post
                            I was just about to sneak in here with a little free script for the day....

--randomize UserProperty Tag per object in selection.
                            --you can change the name of the property and the array of items to choose from
                            userProp = "colour"
                            propTags = #("Red","Green","Blue")

for o in selection do
                            (
                            setUserProp o userProp propTags[(random 1 propTags.count)]

)
                            HiThanks, I will try this.
                            I suppose it puts tags random under user defined properties, no?
                            and we should modify tags and property before we run script.
                            www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

So a user definable property can be either a number of letter value. I personally use numbers, so IDSetter would set say the property "Color" to 1, 2 or 3. Then you'd name your bitmaps with the 1, 2, 3 at the end. But Dave's way work work as well.

- Neil

Comment

Working...
                              X