Area Light Length Width Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Area Light Length Width Lock

Congrats on releasing 3.0! While I dive into the new features, I'm going to post a few wishlist items that I hope can make its way into the next release (after you guys take an appropriately long vacation, of course).

First up, can we get an area light length / width lock in the vraylight? I find myself frequently wanting to keep my arealight square, and typing the number twice while tweaking its size is a pain. Just a lock so any change to 1 automatically updates the other to the same value would be awesome. Thanks!

- Neil

It would be nice if we could do something like ctrl+drag or shift+drag to keep the dimensions the same... Or you mean just a lock button?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Sounds cool. ctrl drag would be the same as keeping a 3dsmax rectangle spline a square. And Shift Drag keep a photoshop rectangle a square, so either would be good.

I've also wanted a once you click drag to get your arealight shape, you release then click to finalize creating the light, or drag a second time to drag out the position of the light's target, and then click to create the target. 100% of my arealights are target, so it's been a pain to create the light, then manually click the target checkbox in the modifer panel, then go back to the light, select the target, then move it, when you could handle all of that as part of the creation process.

As for the lock, even if you did the first thing you suggested, a lock would still be good because I tend to modify the size of my arealight a lot after creation time.

Thanks for putting some thought into this one.

- Neil

Comment

I would love a feature like this as well. I find it most tedious when creating and resizing rectangular area lights. Also I some times start with a spherical light then switch to a rectangular light. Would be great to have the lock here or maybe better yet if only the radius has been adjusted that the width (and w size?) field stays in sync or the lock button is on by default if you start with a sphere light? Right now they stay at the default 10 until you switch from sphere to one of the other modes and adjust them.

Was also thinking if there was a way to put handles on the outer edges of the rectangle (spheres also?) lights that you could just grab and pull each side that would be pretty nice. Also add a handle on the corner for the shift/ctrl style uniform drag stuff. Just a thought.
        t1t4
        www.boring3d.com

Comment

Nice to see the vray light interface get an update with common parameters up top. Are there plans for that lock?

- Neil

Comment

Just stumbled over this thread here. I really like the idea of different creation modes to create targets and to rotate the lights. Very nice!
            https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
              Just stumbled over this thread here. I really like the idea of different creation modes to create targets and to rotate the lights. Very nice!
              See Lele's scripts for targeted lights:
              http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...highlight=lele

Do they work for you?

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
              X