Hotspot, Falloff and Transition Curve for Vraylight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotspot, Falloff and Transition Curve for Vraylight

I've definately been finding myself wanting a hotspot, falloff and transition curve (a curve control so you can adjust the transition between the brightness of the hotspot distance and the darkness of the falloff distance) in the vray lights. Any chance of getting these in there? I know vray tends to be more physically oriented, so consider these to be like the barn doors on a real theatrical light to help shape the light.

- Neil

Oh, and here's some info on the transition curve...

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_tools/...tion_curve.htm

- Neil

Comment

Originally posted by soulburn3d View Post
      Any chance of getting these in there? I know vray tends to be more physically oriented, so consider these to be like the barn doors on a real theatrical light to help shape the light.
      No, they are not like barn doors unfortunately. We do have the "directional" parameter for rectangle lights though, which can be somewhat used for a similar purpose.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Well, from a user perspective, barn doors and hotspot / falloff are doing the same thing, you are trying to limit the amount of light spilling to the sides of the area you're aiming at. Directional is more like focus, since increasing the value doesn't just limit how much light hits the sides, but also intensifies the light that's in the center. So would still like to see either barn doors or hotspot/falloff controls.

- Neil

Comment

I second this request!

Comment

Third! One of the items fro, the Brazil light functionality I still really miss...

Thanks

-Michael

www.morphographic.com

Comment

YES! Some more options for VrayLights would be awesome. This would go in the direction of getting REAL lights distribution to CG. Look at photographers possibilities of manipulating their light sources... gels, honeycombs, barndoors, fresnel spots, etc.. These are all things that manipulate the "quality" of lights... and this is what CG really is missing. In CG lights are all the same... dull, smooth and what not. When these possibilities come to CG, the quality of rendering will evolve to the next level, I believe!

Comment

Then would it be possible to describe what you need in photographic terms rather than as artificial concepts like curves and hotpots?

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Oh, yes of course. I can describe this in more detail. Right now, I don't have the time, but I will do it this weekend. Happy to see there is interest in this.

Comment

Here's some more info on the subject. Check out the Barn doors area towards the bottom of the linked page. Would love to get a way to limit the light at the sides of the light, whether its barn doors or hotspot/falloff, either is good.

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_tools/...ot_falloff.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	wishlist_barndoors_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	856060

- Neil

Comment

I vote for this!
                      https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

If you look at the spot lights in Maya, where we support the barn doors attributes, would this be enough?

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

Mee toooo !!!

Comment

I vote in favor.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                              If you look at the spot lights in Maya, where we support the barn doors attributes, would this be enough?
                              The problem with just implementing Maya's Barn Doors is to get the edge of the barn doors to be soft you have to adjust the Penumbra angle and Dropoff of the light source, which I don't believe vray has. And the barn doors are square only, as opposed to also a circular mode.

But if you can implement those barn doors, offer a circular option as well, and offer the ability to change the barn doors edge softness, that would do the job. Thanks!

- Neil

Comment

Working...
                              X