No announcement yet.

Interior mapping shader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I modified the code to switch Z and Y, I'll work on it some more tonight and upload a new version with some other cool features soon.
    Rens Heeren
    Generalist
    WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

I wanted to drop a note of thanks and to ask whether you'd been able to make more progress on this.

Comment

I have! I've updated and changed several things, I'll try to upload the current version so at least you'll have an updated version to use, then add the rest of the planned features.
        Rens Heeren
        Generalist

Comment

Awesome Rens! I'm really interested in this as well, for Maya. Thanks for any updates!

edit: I do have it working in Maya Vray, but with wacky coordinates and flips. But does function.
          -John
          Last edited by jdrouse; 20-12-2016, 03:53 PM.
          John Rouse - Lead VFX Guy
          http://www.johnrouse.net
          Los Angeles, California

Comment

Hey everybody, here's v5! I'll upload some example of the new features soon, but here's the shader already!

http://www.rensheeren.com/osl/interi...g_tex_v005.osl

There's a new feature that scales the rooms to fit the bounding box of the object so you have properly fitting rooms, however it needs vrayusercolors as inputs so the shader can know the size of the object, use this script to generate the data (in max):
            Code:
            for o in selection do
            (
            	v_min = in coordsys local o.min
            	v_max = in coordsys local o.max
            	s_min = (v_min[1] as string) + "," + (v_min[2] as string)+ "," + (v_min[3] as string)
            	s_max = (v_max[1] as string) + "," + (v_max[2] as string) + "," + (v_max[3] as string)
            	setUserProp o "intMap_bboxmin" s_min
            	setUserProp o "intMap_bboxmax" s_max
            )
            Then bring in the vrayUserColors set to intMap_bboxmin and intMap_bboxmax and connect. By default the mode is on so please disable for using it without it.

Ok, more to follow but sleepy time now!

To do:
            - UV mode if possible at all.
            - Texture lighting.
            - Test/implement y up.
            - Room rotation instead of random per wall so lighting stays connected.
            - Side rooms have no walls on outer box wall, so you can see through the corners of the building.
            - Color temperature (K) varation.

Known issues:
            - WIP.

Notes:
            - Connect the atlas image.
            - Lighting mode:
            0 - atlas base texture only
            1 - multiply base with lighting
            2 - replace base with lighting
            Rens Heeren
            Generalist

Comment

v6! Added outer wall removal which was a bit of a bad boy to sort out, works only with the room fitting option from the previous post (needs the script) as the shader needs to know where the outer rooms are.
              http://www.rensheeren.com/osl/interi...g_tex_v006.osl

v005 2016/12/21 (rh)
              - Cleaned up more code.
              - Added room fitting to bounding box.
              - First setup of Y is up Maya mode, needs testing.
              - Changed to room size.
              - Texture inputs and code for separate lighting maps.
              - Added lighting modes.
              v006 2016/12/26 (rh)
              - Added outer wall removal.
              - Reworked UI a bit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	intmap_outerwallrem.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	866028
              Rens Heeren
              Generalist

Comment

BTW that's still a box with 6 polys.
                Rens Heeren
                Generalist

Comment

Burn the witch

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                    Burn the witch
                    Haha! Wait until you see the option to add a layer of cards to add desks and people in.

Originally posted by EToth View Post
                    Comments added below ,thanks again for the detailed suggestions!
                    1. Outside Walls
                      Check!

2. Inverted Floors
                      Hm, for me it's the ceilings that are inverted! I'll fix that.

3. Uneven Floor Number
                      Yes, the coordinate center is the object's pivot point, and it will scale from there. The room fitting feature makes sure the rooms will always fit to the bounding box edges.

4. Atlas Rows?
                      They work for me now, at least in the latest version. For lighting there's the lit rooms amount which will either switch off the atlas base randomly, ot just the direct lighting atlas, depending on which lighting mode you've picked. (I'll upload some lighting mode and lighting examples soon).

5. Color Out vs Result
                      As this is an OSL texture, you'll need to use a VRayOSLTex node, then plug that into a VRayLightMtl for example, that should do the trick.

6. User settings (Y up vs Z up)
                      This will be a tricky one! I doubt the button I've added now will work fully if at all, I currently have no access to Maya with VRay but I'll see what I can do.
                    Originally posted by japetus View Post
                    Awesome, I just found this as well. I too would love to be able to, or to know how to have a random assortment of different bitmaps so each floor isn't the same, it's not immediately obvious how to do that right now...seems like I've been having to make more and more buildings and cities recently and this would be really handy to have in my toolkit.
                    Yes, you need to add another row in the atlas bitmap, then set the number of rows used in the shader (atlas_rows), it will then pick a row randomly for each room.
                    Rens Heeren
                    Generalist

Comment

This looks so nice. I have questions :

1) Do you foresee a way to handle curved buildings?
                      2) Do you think you might be able to handle wall/floor thickness values? Right now, the walls are infinitely thin, which doesn't look quite right.
                      3) Do you think you might be able to integrate the bumpy glass OSL code into this one, so that there are windows (between the walls), that have irregularities like real buildings? I wasn't sure whether the plan was to make an onion building, where the interior is generated on geometry inside the outer, though, or a universal 'building' shader was planned.
                      4) Would the code support variable sized rooms (e.g. double width/depth) to provide some variation in the look and feel?
                      Last edited by philstopford; 29-12-2016, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Hey Phil!

1) Likely not, at least nothing comes to mind now on how to do that. Well, maybe offset each floor (level), but that's going to be pretty complicated.
                        2) Yes I have been thinking about this, I'm able to move the walls around randomly and it should be possible to have parameters for wall and floor thickness.
                        3) The ArchGlass shader? Yes, that's the plan, it looks like it might be best to have an input in the ArchGlass shader for a self-illuminating map (the interior mapping shader in this case) as using a VRayBlendMtl doesn't give correct blending of the two yet, though I need to do some more testing, might be some code issue. The other options is to have onion geometries like you said.
                        4) Very likely, and technically you could use the randomLit_raw alpha output of one intmap shader, pipe that through a channelMixer shader to shuffle the alpha into RGB, do some colour corrections, and use that as a mask to blend it with another intmap shader with deeper rooms for example. I'm planning on making that mask have a horizontal component as well so you will have multiple rooms next to eachother with the same settings (or lights) like in real buildings.

Cheers
                        Rens Heeren
                        Generalist

Comment

As for 1), you can use curved buildings currently, there just needs to be a way to have the room depth follow along if needed.
                          Rens Heeren
                          Generalist

Comment

Originally posted by philstopford View Post
                            2) Do you think you might be able to handle wall/floor thickness values? Right now, the walls are infinitely thin, which doesn't look quite right.
                            This is done, I just need to iron out some oddities with it.

3) Do you think you might be able to integrate the bumpy glass OSL code into this one, so that there are windows (between the walls), that have irregularities like real buildings? I wasn't sure whether the plan was to make an onion building, where the interior is generated on geometry inside the outer, though, or a universal 'building' shader was planned.
                            I now have updated the archGlass shader to accept a selfilluminated input. It works well.

4) Would the code support variable sized rooms (e.g. double width/depth) to provide some variation in the look and feel?
                            So I have now added to horizontal variability component to the light mask so you could use that as a mask to blend different room widths together. However it would probably look a bit Harry Potter-ish as you might see a deep room in one window and in the next window you see a small room where you would expect the larger room to be. Anyway, it's on the list.

Here's the changelog so far for v007:
                            - Connected map multipliers.
                            - Fixed alpha issues.
                            - Fixed ceiling text flipping.
                            - Decoupled room and lighting random numbers.
                            - Decoupled room and row random numbers.
                            - Added room rotation so floors/ceilings and walls match up.
                            - Added horizontal light and mask scaling as lights tend to be switched on or off by floors or mult rooms in office buildings.
                            - Added wall and floor thickness.

I'll upload the IntMapping and ArchGlass shader soon, hopefully this weekend, along with some other new nodes. : )
                            Rens Heeren
                            Generalist

Comment

Originally posted by Rens View Post
                              This is done, I just need to iron out some oddities with it.

I now have updated the archGlass shader to accept a selfilluminated input. It works well.

So I have now added to horizontal variability component to the light mask so you could use that as a mask to blend different room widths together. However it would probably look a bit Harry Potter-ish as you might see a deep room in one window and in the next window you see a small room where you would expect the larger room to be. Anyway, it's on the list.

Here's the changelog so far for v007:
                              - Connected map multipliers.
                              - Fixed alpha issues.
                              - Fixed ceiling text flipping.
                              - Decoupled room and lighting random numbers.
                              - Decoupled room and row random numbers.
                              - Added room rotation so floors/ceilings and walls match up.
                              - Added horizontal light and mask scaling as lights tend to be switched on or off by floors or mult rooms in office buildings.
                              - Added wall and floor thickness.

I'll upload the IntMapping and ArchGlass shader soon, hopefully this weekend, along with some other new nodes. : )

Hi Rens, any progress on that upload? I have an office project coming up and I like to know if it's something I can use. I'll try v6 for now. Thx!
                              A.

---------------------
                              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Here's the latest, haven't fixed that wall thickness bug yet (perspective is off), let me know if this works.
                                http://www.rensheeren.com/osl/interi...g_tex_v007.osl

And ArchGlass with an input for the InteriorMapping shader so they can be used together easily:
                                http://www.rensheeren.com/osl/archGlass_mat_v003.osl

Enjoy!
                                Rens Heeren
                                Generalist

Comment

Working...
                                X