Higher Sampling On a Per Material / Per Object Basis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Higher Sampling On a Per Material / Per Object Basis

There may be a way to do this already, if so, I'm all ears, but otherwise this feature would be really useful.

Sometimes you have a single material or object that requires more sampling, like say a grill on a vent whose holes are created with a transparency map.

Notice how the little circles don't sample properly, and some are missing (Adaptive 1 and 4)

Click image for larger version

Name:	wishlist_samples_per_pixel_override1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	881437

Trying to fix it using more max samples doesn't' help much (Adaptive 1 and 16)

Name:	wishlist_samples_per_pixel_override2.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	881438

If you increase the samples (Adaptive 4 and 4), you get a nice smooth grill...

Name:	wishlist_samples_per_pixel_override3.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	881439

But you've now wasted a lot of samples on the rest of the scene that didn't need it. This wastes rendertime, you really only needed the extra samples on a single object. Of course there are other samplers to use, some of which may do a better job, but I would assume they are still using more samples on objects that don't require it to fix the object that does need it.

I'd like a sampling boost added to the Vray Material AND to the object properties, so you can choose whichever method works best for your particular situation. Sort of like a Subdiv setting, except for overall samples instead of just the reflections.

- Neil

I know this is not the solution you are asking for (and I would like it too), but you could render the first pass at the lower AA, include a multimatte matte of the areas you want to render at a higher res. Then render out the second pass with the higher AA, but using the mulitimatte sequence as a render mask.

Comment

The secondary subdiv multiplier one is in the nightlies, there's also a new eliptical filtering option in the vray hdri loader which'll help on those details on textures. Per object AA is in the works!

Comment

Awesome jo! Hope to see it officially released soon.

- Neil

Comment

Next one is gonna be about a month after max 2016, so maybe april / early may? Otherwise nab a nightly and see how it goes - are you at a point in the chain where you're finalling 3d shots yourself or are you early / detached enough that you could have a local change of vray build?

Comment

At some point I'll look into participating with the betas, but right now I have a lot of other stuff going on, if I'm gonna do em I want to give them my full attention. But thanks for the suggestion.

- Neil

Comment

I can't wait to have per object aa, it should enhance hair rendering a lot.
              KCTOO - Directors

Comment

I used per object AA all the time in MentalRay. I admit I've not missed it that much, since VRay tends to be quite a bit quicker in general use, but there are certainly times when it would be very useful. A good example would be to have higher sampling on very fine objects like grass, plants and trees. You could, in this way, deal with the classic tree foliage flickering issues without wasting processor cycles on other, simpler items in the image.
                Alex York
                Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
                www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                X