New Bitmap Tiling Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bitmap Tiling Options

This was originally a wish for Max's bitmap loader, but since I'm thinking of moving over fulltime to using the VrayHDRI map, this would apply here as well.

Tiling Dropdown:

The two current Tiling Options in the bitmap map (Tile & Mirror) are somewhat limiting. I'd like to see these checkboxes replaced with two dropdown lists that offers the following options...

Click image for larger version

Name:	wishlist_bitmap_tiling1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	881442

1) None

Name:	wishlist_bitmap_tiling2a.jpg
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	881443

2) Repeat Last Edge Pixel (tiles once and then holds the edge pixel color from the bitmap for infinity)

Name:	wishlist_bitmap_tiling2b.jpg
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	881444

3) Wrap Around (what the current Tile option does)

Name:	wishlist_bitmap_tiling2c.jpg
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	881445

4) Wrap Mirror (what the current Mirror option does)

Name:	wishlist_bitmap_tiling2d.jpg
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	881446

continued next post...

5) Wrap Random Mirror (Mirrors, but chooses randomly if it should mirror or not)

Name:	wishlist_bitmap_tiling2e.jpg
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	855559

6) Wrap Random Rotation (every tile is randomly rotated)

Name:	wishlist_bitmap_tiling2f.jpg
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	855560

7) Wrap Random 90 Degree Rotation (every tile is randomly rotated, but either 0, 90, 180 or 270 degrees)

Name:	wishlist_bitmap_tiling2g.jpg
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	855561

These would be REALLY useful for breaking up repetition of bitmaps being applied to things like large ground planes.

continued next post...

Comment

Multiple Image Tiling

This would allow you to tile, but with multiple bitmaps.

So you'd choose the "Multiple" button...

Name:	wishlist_bitmap_tiling3.jpg
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	855562

And multiselect several bitmaps at the same time...

Name:	wishlist_bitmap_tiling4.jpg
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	855563

Now when it tiles the bitmap, it randomly chooses a bitmap from the multiple bitmaps you just chose. This would be the ultimate method for breaking up repeating tile patterns on large ground planes, or creating new patterns.

Name:	wishlist_bitmap_tiling2h.jpg
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	855564

Thanks for listening!

- Neil

Comment

Would be amazing

Comment

And I guess it would then have to be based on a random seed or something so you can get the same tiling variation of the same, or multiple bitmaps, but with other bitmaps in reflection, bump slots etc?

Oh and yeah, it would be a great feature! There are plugins that sort of do this kind of stuff.
          But since breaking up repetition repetition in textures is such a common task we struggle with every day, it seems strange to me that it hasn't gotten more attention over the years. Not saying Chaos Group have been on the lazy side, but this is something that I directed to all developers in the field. Developing the basic procedural materials and more option for randomization would go a long way to improve peoples daily lives, no?

Comment

Originally posted by soulburn3d View Post
            Multiple Image Tiling
            I can only assume, but just in case are you aware of this? https://cg-source.com/multitexture.php

It's one of my most used tools. has been used on every job i've done in the last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Neilg View Post
              I can only assume, but just in case are you aware of this? https://cg-source.com/multitexture.php

It's one of my most used tools. has been used on every job i've done in the last year.
              This in conjunction with BerconTile goes a long way to getting random tiles. Sure would be useful directly in one material to get random tiling though if it could be done in VrayHDRI map.
              www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Ya, my hope is to see this all combined into a single map so you don't have to use multiple maps to do very similar things.

- Neil

Comment

I was thinking about a same thing. Some kind of bitmap scattering system like the wrap random rotation but somewhat better. For instance you want some finger prints on your glass or something, then you just specify some fingerprint bitmaps and give in some scattering parameters. Random rotate, scale, move, colission detection so they don't overlap first (you can make them overlap in a composite map then or something).
                  A.

---------------------
                  www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Yes for tiling options! Yes for bitmap scattering with multiple textures!
                    Rens Heeren
                    Generalist
                    WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

At a certain point, that gets into texture bombing, which is another feature I'd like, but may be a bit beyond the scope of this original wish. But a texture bombing plugin would be useful as well.

- Neil

Comment

+1, definitely.
                        Alex York
                        Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
                        www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X