3.5 IPR improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
    Wait, what? Where can I get one of these?
    BUMP!! I'd like to get one too... well I'd need 3 in fact, for each member of our little team is there a shop somewhere ?

Thanks !
    Nicolas Caplat
    www.intangibles.fr

Comment

The t shirts were prizes, sorry guys,
      http://www.jd3d.co.uk - Vray Mentor

Comment

So I rarely use IPR in the viewport (maya) as it never seems to be stable enough, but i thought I'd give another go.

First fatal crash was when i changed the mix curve on a vrayFalloff, this was with cpu mode. Then i changed back to viewport 2 mode, changed the ipr method to cuda, changed back to vrayIPR and my whole machine locked up, forcing me to reset. I haven't had that in a long time.

This was with the latest stable release and maya 2017.

So no ipr for me then.
        e: info@adriandenne.com
        w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

Originally posted by francomanko View Post
          So I rarely use IPR in the viewport (maya) as it never seems to be stable enough, but i thought I'd give another go.

First fatal crash was when i changed the mix curve on a vrayFalloff, this was with cpu mode. Then i changed back to viewport 2 mode, changed the ipr method to cuda, changed back to vrayIPR and my whole machine locked up, forcing me to reset. I haven't had that in a long time.

This was with the latest stable release and maya 2017.

So no ipr for me then.
          Very different from my experience : i opened the V-Ray frame buffer, pressed play on it, and forgot it was running for the next three hours of scene editing, which included (all live) changing hair guides, swapping out shader classes, adding and removing geo, adding and removing lights and textures on those, changing shader tree parts and settings, and on an on the list goes.
          Are you sure it's wise to use the maya Viewports in the first place? See if the Vray VFB gives you the same issues, perhaps you're luckier there.
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Hello

Sorry if it has been discussed somewhere else, but I have a question about v3.5 IPR features. I've just watched the video presentation on YouTube, and I've seen the Pick Focus Point feature in RT ... is it available in IPR as well ? it's really a great feature (between all the others provided by this great new release, of course ). I'm not able to find infos on that ... and since I'm in a middle of a production, I just can't install it and check myself, sorry for asking !

Thanks.
            Last edited by NicoC; 10-02-2017, 01:18 AM.
            Nicolas Caplat
            www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Hello,

The new options in the VFB (select object, get object material and pick focus point) are available only in RT rendering and not available in IPR for now.

Best regards,
              Yavor
              Yavor Rubenov
              V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Originally posted by yavor.rubenov View Post
                Hello,

The new options in the VFB (select object, get object material and pick focus point) are available only in RT rendering and not available in IPR for now.

Best regards,
                Yavor
                Hello Yavor

Thanks for your answer, this is what I suspected. Do you have any plans for making these features available in IPR in the near future ?

Regards.
                Nicolas Caplat
                www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Hi,

Would it be possible to IPR with Distributed Rendering in the future?
                  This feature would be nice.

Best Regards
                  Originally posted by vlado View Post
                  Unfortunately no. You will have to use V-Ray RT for that.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Is RT intended do be further developed alongside IPR? Also is it a purely technical problem for DR being used with IPR?
                  Software:
                  Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
                  3ds Max 2016 SP4
                  V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
                  Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
                  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
                  64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

My 2 wishes for IPR:

1. Are there plans to make the "Render Mask" function work interactively with IPR without having to stop the render?

This will be huge because you'll be able to tell IPR "I want to see the changes on this/these selected object/layer only" and concentrate your computing power only on the object you're working on, thus not wasting CPU cycles on refreshing the whole image.

I know you can do regions but it's not the same. With Render Mask you can A) concentrate even more CPU power onto the object of interest because it often covers much less screen area than a rectangular shaped region and B) the objects of interest can be in opposite sides of the image so you either have to do one large region (waste of CPU power) or do a region over the 1st object, wait some time and then draw a region over the other object (waste of your personal time).

The functionality is already there, the only problem is you need to stop and start IPR every time you change options in Render Mask or every time you want to pick another object. Hopefully this is possible to implement! BTW, I got the inspiration from this MODO video.

2. My other big wish for IPR is for the region renders to not start from scratch if you draw them again over the same place. It should work like Vray RT where if you draw a region over an already refined area, it won't start refining it from scratch but will continue refining it from where it left off. Unless there's a change in the scene of course such as view, materials, lighting, objects position etc. Then of course it will and should start from scratch.
                    Last edited by Alex_M; 10-03-2017, 06:19 AM.
                    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
                    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

+1 for alex suggestions
                      German guy, sorry for my English.

Comment

Yes, will work on those.

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

That's great to know, Vlado. Especially number 2, the render region thing not starting from scratch. It's frustrating that when you mark a region, you know that disabling it will restart the entire frame again.

A few places which IPR is not updating interactively:

1) When changing GI settings and Global Switches, IPR needs restart. Like enabling/disabling reflective/refractive caustics, max sample intensity, trace depth, displacements, etc.

2) In 2017 when exposure from Environment and Effects is installed and viewport is not a physical camera, IPR doesn't update immediately on parameter change, you need to trigger the update by changing something else. Not needed to restart, though.

3) IPR needs restart to reflect Displacement changes.

My 2 wishes for IPR (for now ):

1. Support for 2D Pan and Zooom from the viewport. That's something I miss a lot really. Maybe a real zoom on VFB like VrayRT, although that would be is somewhat redundant. The advantage of having it also on the VFB is that with IPR on a floating window, you don't need to keep clicking on the viewport to change the view. If you have Slate and VFB opened, with just one monitor, the amount of window moving and clicking just to set the view can be annoying.

2. Multiple regions. Sometimes the material or objects we are working on can be scattered on the frame, and or you work on one at a time, or you draw a much bigger region than necessary, losing interactivity by wasting computing power.

Regards,
                          -Eugenio

Comment

The multiple regions are not going to happen. Instead, the interactive render mask that follows the current selection will probably help a lot for that purpose. For the 2D pan and zoom, this is on the "to do" list as well.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Interactive render mask sounds great really. Especially if we can pick object in the VFB directly. Do you think those will make for 3.60?

Regards,
                              -Eugenio

Comment

i still get crashes with ipr when i change camera parameters and moving the camera

i think its happen with scene that forest pack is there

any fix?

Comment

Working...
                                X