Please disable scroll wheel so it does not affect vray drop down menus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please disable scroll wheel so it does not affect vray drop down menus

Hello, i just want to post this as official request here.

Is it possible that vray drop down menues like the ones encircled in red to be unaffected while scrolling down trough render settings. It happens quite often that while scrolling down you change some value by mistake.

I use middle mouse button almost all the time, but sometimes i just forget and it can make perfectly fine rendering scene to be non renderable just by switching resize all textures to full size textures while scrolling down to check light cache options, you hit submit to network and it is 12 hours or more wasted.

Don't believe people use scroll wheel to setup such options as everyone is more or less paranoid and check 100 times before submitting to rendering.

However, there are options that are not used that often like volume grid, so glancing over those options will not have such effect on me like glancing over render settings, as i already memorized certain shape or arrangement, so even without my glasses i can tell if something is not as it should be.

Right now scroll wheel is enabled in every vray drop down menu(encircled in red), some of those menus are less clear or understandable to some people and when they receive scene that works correctly it can be rendered useless just by scrolling down/up.

Not sure if this is something that is even possible, if it is, it would be great to be disabled, at least as option when installing vray or any other way.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drop_down_disable_scrolling.jpg
Views:	892
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	978862

+1
    ​​​​​This would be helpful
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
    Sketchbook-1 /Sketchbook-2 / Behance / Facebook

Comment

I thought this was 3dsmax related! If it is VRay related - PLEASE change it back, it is really frustrating...
      Available for remote work.
      My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegbudeanu/

Comment

Actually I am pretty sure it is Max related, having tested it in 3DSMax dialogs, such as customise user Interface, Exposure control in the Environment and Effects dialog, Units Setup etc... the scroll wheel will change values in drop down lists... and yes it is very frustrating that this cannot, as far as I can tell, be turned off

Comment

It's a windows setting, default with Win 10.
          Nothing to do with us, or a rollout control's behaviour.

Name:	scroll.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	982579
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Nice one Lele.. I never thought of it being a windows specific setting Thing is now, you have to remember if you are in the Vray settings and you then want to scroll zoom an object in the viewport, you need to make that viewport active, same if you go back to Vray settings, you have to make that window active.. but certainly prevents options changing randomly when scrolling. So yes it is a windows/Mouse setting thing. Have to get used to making sure the window you want to work in, is selected now. .but that's a far better option in my opinon.

Comment

I thought about this, of course, and I can personally see no way around it.
              For example, in maxscript (which is admittedly very high level) i couldn't stop a pulldown from responding to a mouse wheel or the up and down keys, if the rollout had focus.
              That win 10 setting does precisely that: sets focus to the "window" (clearly, not just that.) under the cursor.

The only potential solution to this, but it'd need testing, and perhaps some configuration, would be a third-party utility which did the same, but confined the behaviour to parent windows, rather than each and every UI control within them.
              Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Hey people,

Since this is pretty much tricky issue that is not "real" issue but it can be and i know someone prefers it like this, but i personally think there are room for further customization and changes.

Right now:

Wheel fix in win 10 affect other programs too and that can be frustrating as those programs do not suffer from this problems and they do need mouse wheel so that is not solution for me.

Logitech options for mouse let you choose what software do what but messes with other mouse functions you rely on in that particular program.

Max script or some other more complicated way is beyond me.

Reasoning:

I know this(right now) keeps Vray UI somewhat clean but that comes at cost as you can make mistakes and changes you do not want to very easy, those changes are far from undoable, they can waste great time and resources.

Can this be elevated and adapted any further to avoid mouse wheel issue whatsoever right now?

Probably yes on all accounts, you can use pen, be extra careful, customization in mouse drivers/windows... But that is not proper solution.

Is this something written in stone and have to stay like this? Does Vray UI have to change and adapt also, probably.

Evolving:

Maybe using check boxes instead of drop down menus or even buttons that are color coded like choice for Default/Advanced/Expert is the way to go.

Before i start to give examples there is ton of things not needed/old or grayed out but shown without any reason and sooner or later they could be exempted to further simplify UI i am aware of it.

Few examples how i think UI could be improved and easier to read:

Global switches(light portion) can look something like this, this would be visible at all times and it would be fail proof unless you are clicking randomly:

------------------------------------------------------ Ver 1.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Vray_UI.jpg Views:	1 Size:	122.2 KB ID:	982611Click image for larger version  Name:	Vray_UI_Selected_buttons.jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.2 KB ID:	982612

------------------------------------------------------ Ver 2. * If Def/Adv/Exp is used

Those can be simplified even further to avoid clutter:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Vray_UI_Default.jpg Views:	1 Size:	50.0 KB ID:	982615
                __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Image sampler Type(antialiasing) <-------------- "Type" should be in the panel name instead down cluttering

--------------------------------------------------- Ver 1.

Buttons ---- > ______________________| Bucket | | Progressive| _____________________________<---------------- There is no need for expert or default on here, expert only adds min shading rate and divide shading subdivs all this could be available from get go and it will avoid clutter Expert button adds

Further options______________________Min shading rate 6 Divide shading_____________________<--------------- Slider, Checkbox

__________________________________Render mask(drop down) map input _____________________<--------- I would move this to global switches anyhow as there are render override function is already there, but that could be problem because there is already map input slot there, so that become confusing(let it stay here)

--------------------------------------------------- Ver 2. * If Def/Adv/Exp is used

________________________________| Bucket | | Progressive|

_________________________________Render mask(drop down) map input

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

I admit some things can go to drop-down menus but those are things used rarely or in specific manner like image filter/color mapping/camera type and they are collapsed anyways most of the time and are not changed that much.

---------------------------------------------------

Why Global illumination needs dropdown menus, it's expanded all the time by default and easily it can be changed without realizing it.

This way right out of the box it shows all options and again when you glance at them you do not need glasses, if this color coded that primary is green and secondary yellow you will find it right away.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ver 1.

Checkbox on/off

Primary | Brute Force | | Light Cache | | Irradiance | multi: 1

Secondary | Brute Force | | Light Cache | | None | multi: 1

Refractive GI Caustics Reflective GI Caustics __________________________<------- check boxes could be kept like now

Saturation AO
                Contrast
                Contrast base

Subdivs 8(not needed) Bounces 3 per AA samples....
                ____________________<------------------- Brute force GI moved here because you are immediately aware it is affected by above changes (right now that panel is collapsed or removed)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ver 2. * If Def/Adv/Exp is used

Checkbox on/off

Primary | Brute Force | | Light Cache | | Irradiance | multi: 1

Secondary | Brute Force | | Light Cache | | None | multi: 1

Subdivs 8(not needed) Bounces 3 per AA samples....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is lengthy post and hard to read probably, i also know this is not something that could be changed easily, i am not shitting on existing UI, it is optimized for most users and actually it is very good apart from some limitations that are not fault of Chaos or UI designer but it is the way how max work.

However existing UI should be product of it's own time, when monitor real estate was way smaller than it is now, everything had to be crammed down, many people have 2 monitor or even 3 monitor setup as we speak, resulting in up to 8k or even more.

I think that real estate is NOT fully used according with today's standards, and UI needs to be revisited and adapted to use that much better, other engines made wider render setup windows to utilize that resolution growth i don't see why this couldn't be done here.

Don't want to get answer "Go use other engines if you like their UI so much" as it's not about only making it wider, i hope you will come out with something even more mistake proof.

Especially when more and more non needed options gradually disappear and things are simplified with every new version of Vray which is great.

Right now, using trickery with all different programs/windows/scripts or any other options is transitional solution, at least for me and it show things need to be done on your part also.

Thanks and take care,
                Ivan
                Last edited by Ivan1982; 03-02-2018, 07:29 AM. Reason: Fixed formatting issues

Comment

You can script your own UI to control the renderer, and never again open once the settings.

F.e.:

Name:	renderUI.png
Views:	794
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	982633Click image for larger version

Name:	renderUI_2.png
Views:	757
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	982634
                  Last edited by ^Lele^; 03-02-2018, 11:53 AM.
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Well that is great, i only wish my scripting skills are sufficient for such task, so many things to learn

Comment

Well for me, just clicking on the option in the mouse settings, to turn the feature off, is a far better solution, compared to having Chaos group rework the UI of Vray, to cater for only a few people that are having this problem. If there a simple little program, that sat on the taskbar to switch it on and off, that would be even better. The fact is, this is a Windows 10 thing and back in the days of Windows 7, it didn't exist. So frankly I would just turn it off and forget it ever existed in the first place. Surely it is better to remember to give windows focus, than to be constantly screwing up your vray settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan1982 View Post
                        so many things to learn
                        The one thing which makes my life worth living
                        Lele
                        ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

andy51 here's one such type of tools (albeit i have no clue if it would do what needed.).

https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/...toncontrol.htm
                          Lele
                          ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

^Lele^ word!

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan1982 View Post
                              ^Lele^ word!
                              I posted some Maxscript learning resources here:
                              https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...900#post978900

I promise you you will be jumping in joy WAY before the first tutorial is done.
                              Lele
                              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                              X