No announcement yet.

More maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have found, at least in my workflow, simple is best. I build my materials from scratch, for the most part, and they are very simple. I use the diffused slot, reflection slot with fresnel, and a normal map in the bump slot. More reflection, more blur, all as needed. The materials I download are insanely complicated and don't look any better. Like most things in life, less is more. It seems like the more experienced someone gets the less complicated the solution is and it usually works better.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Art48 View Post
      Well any proper render farm has these industry standard maps. And why would Chaosgroup re-program these maps when they work just fine? Especially since most are free.
      Because with every version of 3ds Max, it requires that these maps also be updated. BerconMaps for instance are no longer supported by the creator AFAIK and need to be recompiled every year.

Pretty sure Vlado actually did that himself once or twice.
      Last edited by Richard7666; 21-02-2018, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Macker, 3dsmax 2019 must be a dream come true for you then, over 100 shipping extra maps and a whole repo of OSL shaders on github now which is being contributed to regularly!
        Maxscript made easy....
        davewortley.wordpress.com
        Follow me here:
        facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Yeah, I knew OSL support is coming that's why I didn't comment on this thread We will also add OSL support for V-Ray GPU later in the year.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

So, do all the OSL shaders on Autodesk's GitHub work with VRay's OSL material as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Laserschwert View Post
              So, do all the OSL shaders on Autodesk's GitHub work with VRay's OSL material as well?
              Apparently they don't. Tried a couple and always got a similar error message:

B:\\Material\\OSL\\BlackBody.osl:17: error: Syntax error: syntax error
              [OSLIntegrator::compileOSLShaderToOSO] Could not compile shader B:\Material\OSL\BlackBody.osl (OSL to OSO)
              Software:
              Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
              3ds Max 2016 SP4
              V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
              Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
              64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

You can use the 3ds Max OSLMap texture - it works totally fine with V-Ray.

We do have some work on our own OSL support to make all shaders work, but there is little need to use the V-Ray specific texture for the moment.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Except when you don't dare to upgrade to Max 2019. Which I guess most of us don't.
                  Software:
                  Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
                  3ds Max 2016 SP4
                  V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
                  Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
                  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
                  64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Yeah, we are on a Max 2018 perpetual license and are definitely NOT going to update to 2019 rental.

Comment

Originally posted by Art48 View Post
                      Except when you don't dare to upgrade to Max 2019. Which I guess most of us don't.
                      Hm, I didn't think about that... As I said, we are working on this and things should be a lot better for the final V-Ray Next release. We are basically going through all the supplied shaders to make sure they render.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Working...
                      X