Dome Light lock texture to icon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome Light lock texture to icon

Is there ever a situation where you'd want to rotate the icon without the texture moving with it?

I'm curious to know as well...

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Sometimes it happens that the light is grouped with something, or linked to something. Can be on purpose or sometimes by mistake. If the parent is then rotated, it would mess up your "sky". In this instance it's good to NOT have the texture locked to the light rotation
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

I would ask, what happens when you rotate a dome light icon, when it has no texture applied to it?...and the answer is NOTHING..
        also what happens when you rotate it, when the texture is not linked to it?... Answer is again, NOTHING

A dome light, is a light, but unlike a targeted or directional light, it is infinite. It's placement in space x and y makes no difference, it's placement in z, according to some, should be just a fraction more than 0, though I've never come across any problems in that regard. It's rotation, unless it has a texture linked to it, has no effect on the scene and being infinite, scaling is pointless.

So for me at least, there is no reason to want to rotate the icon, without a texture (if it has one of course) moving with it.

As for grouping it or linking it with something else, that would either be by choice, in which case you grouped it / linked it, so you ought to remember that and be prepared for the consequences or by accident, in which case, you should be more careful. So the answer, at least form me is.... "there isn't one"

I say make it automatic, when an HDR sky texture is applied to a dome light and better still replaced it's check box, with one that says, use as texture in environment. One less step to seeing it in the viewport and can easily be turned off. Oh how about this, adding all the controls you would normally get, only if you added the texture to the material editor, for an hdr sky, to the dome lights controls, under say "texture controls", so that you can adjust over al and render intensity, inverse gamma etc, with out having to go into the material or slate editors.

Comment

'Oh how about this, adding all the controls you would normally get, only if you added the texture to the material editor, for an hdr sky, to the dome lights controls, under say "texture controls", so that you can adjust over al and render intensity, inverse gamma etc, with out having to go into the material or slate editors.'

I'd also find that very useful - it feels like flipping back and forth between the material editor and the light to tweak this is an unnecessary step. Given the ubiquity of HDRI lighting, the easier it is the better. And agree - if you don't want it moving when you group it with something, don't group it...

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Laughton View Post
            if you don't want it moving when you group it with something, don't group it...
            Simple enough if you're the only one on a project. Not so much if you're collaborating and have no control on what the other team members do

Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post

Simple enough if you're the only one on a project. Not so much if you're collaborating and have no control on what the other team members do

If you have a team member, doing stuff that is making life harder for others, give them a good slapping
              Last edited by andy51; 18-02-2018, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X