Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• global reflect/refract cutoff value.

Hi,
    I just had to troubleshoot a scene with what looked like flashing geometry, I couldn`t figure it out for ages. It turned out to be the reflect/refract cutoff being default 0.01. I had some large distant reflection planes. I can solve it using VMC script to set all materials to 0 cutoff in the scene but I thought it might be useful to have a global override switch/value in the global switches rollout. or is there already a way ?
    thanks
    anthonyh

The cutoff at 0.01 is a sure sign of old assets having been dragged in (or a very mischievous colleague XD).
    I think it's been defaulting at 0.,001 for the best part of a decade now.
    I have no opinion on the option itself, however i think we should at least flag such shaders during scene conversion, if not outright overwrite the parameter.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Hi Lele,
      It is possible it was 0.001 and I`m just mis-remembering, I`ll have to check. I`m *fairly* sure it was a new material as it was part of a satellite that we couldn`t find prebuilt anywhere so we had to build it ourselves. It`s also the same scene from the anisotropy smoothing issue so it`s probably related in some way. Quite often objects and groups get scaled up or down to fit a scene so it could be to do with that ? The scene scale doesn`t seem extreme (except for the reflection planes) but the issue is still there without them.
      thanks
      anthony
      edit: nope the cutoff was 0.01 so maybe i just made the material out of the bones of another.
      Last edited by anthonyh; 19-02-2018, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X