Proxy Load LOD on Render

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proxy Load LOD on Render

Would it be possible to have a vray proxy load different LOD meshes based on distances to camera on Render? Similar to how gaming engines process auto LOD asset draws. If a naming convention was used for the mesh when saving out proxies, or using an auto LOD creation script, then vray would load based on distances to camera. This distance could be in world units and in radius rings. such as 0-10, 10-50, 50-100, 100-beyond, or something that has been thoroughly tested to understand quality.

We don't have this built into the .vrmesh files yet. Maybe you could use the 3ds Max LOD system for this, although I haven't tried it with proxies specifically. We also have the ability to create LODs dynamically when exporting .vrmesh files from Mudbox, but if your meshes came from somewhere else, it doesn't work.

It is a good feature request though.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for the information, Vlado! Hope something like this could make it's way into future versions, would be a great way to optimize memory footprint especially since there is a lot of focus moving in the GPU production pipeline.

Comment

Hi there,
        it‘s the first time I‘m researching on how to work with VrayProxies and LOD for a landscape project and stumbled about this feature request:
        Are these different „incompatible“ systems, or has anything changed meanwhile?
        (actually I‘m for this project in Maya, but I guess it’s the same workflow for vray)
        Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X