VRayMtlSelect upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayMtlSelect upgrade

any chance making VRayMtlSelect element working with more material types? like Multi/SubObject or whole VrayBlendMtl?
    Marcin Piotrowski
    youtube

It should work fine with a whole VRayBlendMtl material, I think... can you post an example where it doesn't? I'll make note about the Multi/Sub-object material.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

sorry, VRayBlendMtl indeed works fine (I tested some mats with IPR hence mistake).
      basically what I'm after is alpha channel for just that specific material/object as in VRayMtlSelect element. If it would be easier to add that functionality to VRayObjectSelect element that is already handling mat and object IDs (as a third mode?) - even better I guess.
      Marcin Piotrowski
      youtube

Comment

I'm not quite sure I understand; can you post an example?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

My intention was to find something better than MultiMatte for masking in Photoshop. something that could be xrefed via linked smart object or video layer. VRayMtlSelect is the only render element that comes with its own alpha if saved as RGBA bitmap - for a second I considered it a better option. problem was it does not work with multimaterial. ont the other hand VRayObjectSelect is much more flexible (mat ID and object ID) but lacks alpha channel.

after trying everything I could think of I just circled back to dependable MultiMatte and just found a way to mask something with xrefed MultiMatte layer in Photoshop.
          so I guess updating VRayMtlSelect can wait, it's nothing urgent anymore and you probably have your hands full with Next anyway.

Regards.
          Marcin Piotrowski
          youtube

Comment

I just wanted to post something similar!

It would be great, if VRayObjectSelect render element could be saved as TIFF or PNG the way VRayMtlSelect render element can. I mean, VRayMtlSelect's alpha channel contains only the certain objects with the certain material. Unfortunately VRayObjectSelect can not do this, it only has the general Alpha channel, the remaining objects, which do not have the ID appear as black on the saved image.

I've been using both to to have better control over material's colors in post production, but it is a headache to always mask out the VRayObjectSelect element's required parts. So VRayMtlSelect is better for this purpose, but it has some problems: if I reload a saved render preset, the Instance connection gets lost to the certain material. So ObjectSelect with IsMATID option works better, because the material ID probably remains the same, the connection does not get lost after reloading a render preset.

Regards,
            Gabor
            Last edited by narmer_visual; 04-04-2018, 01:19 AM.
            Gabor Nagy
            narmer architecture studio
            www.narmer.hu

Comment

Working...
            X