Vray for Blender 2.8 - when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post
    The bad news is that since the software is open-source, it doesn't have any documentation of the changes made as well as any comments in the code which furthers complicates our job since we have to reverse-engineer basically everything. There isn't any standardization of the source-code, so it's basically Spaghetti code which makes things even worse. Another thing is we have no way of communicating with the development team of Blender which also slows things down.

Best Regards,
    Svetlozar
    There should be avenues of communication for you :

https://devtalk.blender.org/

and there is some developer information here : https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Source

Changes in the Python API for blender 2.80 are available here:

https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Refere....80/Python_API

Comment

Count me in for a „beta“ phase.
      blender is a miracle in all sort of terms! In just one month of usage, I’m able to do all the stuff I’ve done the last 10 years in archviz but there is one thing missing...VRAY
      Please don't underestimate the huge attention blender has received in the last months. It seems that big changes would happen to the industry, more gpu, game engines used for arch is, ray tracing in realtime.... and there have to be a good open platform for asset preparation, rendering...blender could be a hub for this!
      But I think the technology inside of vray is so advanced compared to other render engines especially to cycles and it would speed up many things!

Greets phil
      Greets Phil
      -----------------------
      WS
      DUAL E5-2683 V3 28c/56t @2,6Ghz
      64GB Ram
      ASUS ROG STRIX OC 1080ti
      PALIT SUPER JETSTREAM 780ti

Node
      I7 2600K @4,40GHZ,
      32GB RAM

Comment

Hello everybody.

It's time for a quick update from our side - we got a few exciting news to share with you.
        First, we are very happy to share the development of V-Ray for Blender is going pretty well so far, hopefully it will continue in the same way till the end.

We managed fully integrate the V-Ray Addon/Exporter which is a huge success since it allows us to export scenes from Blender and also give us control over V-Ray menus/options/render settings and etc inside of Blender.
        Another very important step is the support for the geometry nodes. Almost everything in terms of geometry is already supported including standard primitives, meshes, and etc.
        Another huge success is the fact we are now able to render scenes inside Blender 2.8, here is one of the first completed renders:

Click image for larger version  Name:	ForumShowOffMeshes.PNG Views:	2 Size:	353.5 KB ID:	1059991

It's not the fanciest render on the planet but it's an important step toward the end goal - hopefully we will soon be able to show more exciting stuff.

We are currently working on the materials support, there are lots of changes on that matter too which are not that trivial to reverse engineer. Maybe we will reach some of the Blender developers to shed some light on the subject.
        If someone has contact with someone of the Blender Dev team it would be very helpful to introduce us to that person - this may speed up the development of V-Ray for Blender quite a bit.

Cheers!!!
        Svetlozar Draganov
        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post
            Hello everybody.

It's time for a quick update from our side - we got a few exciting news to share with you.
            First, we are very happy to share the development of V-Ray for Blender is going pretty well so far, hopefully it will continue in the same way till the end.

Cheers!!!
            Svetlozar Draganov
            Great!!! Nice news!

About contact some Blender Dev Team... I really don't know anyone in an useful way. I can just say you to check this site https://developer.blender.org/ and look if you can find the right contact for your needs. Otherwise, some of them are writing on BlenderArtists forum but it's a more unofficial channel.

Comment

Hi there, I've been lurking, watching this thread for some time.

I've been a blender user since 2.49 days, and have seen it improve massively. Around 5 years ago, I moved to Max, and for Archviz work, found it to be more efficient due almost entirely to the add ons like railcone and forrst, but also because the Vray implementation.

However, 've found that blender's handling of complex / detailed cad files is far superior (despite having to manually assign colours to imported layers and the need to export to dxf). I get plans from architects which contain detailed glazing mullion blocks and these grind Max VP to a halt, but blender runs smoothly with all this information. Therefore, over the last few months, I've come to the conclusion that blender workflow if far faster for many priojects and the main reasons for using Max are starting to be become less relevant with the recent arrival of a decent scattering add on and animation nodes for many of the railclone functions. What I still need is access to Vray and / or Corona, due to image qualit and performace, mostly in relation to scenes with complex lighting, so Max is still (annoyingly) required in my workflow.

I was just wanting to know when we might expect some early betas of this or even access to the nightly builds? I absolutely would be using blender for my Vray scenes again, should it become possible on 2.8x blender versions.

Many Thanks in advance,

Rob

Comment

Thanks a lot for your sharing your experience and perspective, ockelford . I too can't wait for Chaosgroup to release Vray for Blender so hopefully I can hopefully finally make the jump from Max to Blender. I've been following the Blender development in the past few years and it feels like the guys do in 1 year what Autodesk can't do in 10. I've even recently become a monthly donor to support the development further.
                Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
                AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

+1 ockelford i'm in the exact same boat, only using 3ds max out of neccessity at the moment becuase of V-Ray.
                  Would love to be able to make the full jump to blender and get Vray's amazing rendering quality with my blender models.

Hopefully we will see a release in 2020!

Comment

I would add that some of the instability of Vray Blender when it was under development was one of the issues I found also, but that was around the time of 2.50 when everything was being updated in blender. Compare that with max which hasn't really changed in many years, and you can see why I made the decision to go to max, but the scales seem to be tipping the other way. A solid vray implementation would make it a no brainer.

R

Comment

• Great to see some progress with this! Will this be a separate custom build of blender like the previous version? It would be nice to have it be just an add-on so it could be loaded into other builds of blender.

Comment

• As far as I know, we change/add a lot of things inside Blender in order to integrate V-Ray within it. Hence it's not possible to have V-Ray as a regular Blender add-on.
                        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

• Any more teaser images or progress to share with us?

Comment

• https://code.blender.org/2020/02/rel...ing-2020-2025/

BF has announced that blender will have an LTS (Long Term Support) version. The next release (2.83), will be the first of this kind.

The first proposal is to do one Long Term Support (LTS) release every year. This release would be supported for two years with important bug fixes and updates for new hardware, while strictly maintaining compatibility.
                            LTS versions also will help to ensure that a project that started with an LTS version can be completed with the same version in a reasonable amount of time. Nice for studios with large projects, but also for add-on maintenance.
                            Nice to see some move of Blender Fundation towards stability, hope this will help to make V-Ray/Blender 2.8 integration more maintainable.
                            architect at oona

Comment

• Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post
                              As far as I know, we change/add a lot of things inside Blender in order to integrate V-Ray within it. Hence it's not possible to have V-Ray as a regular Blender add-on.

The Redshift team does not create a Blender Branch, but does it in Plugin.
                              Why can't V-Ray do this?

Blender's development speed is fast. Do we need to wait for CHAOS GROUP's Blender Branch build?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udv1uILubzM

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
                              oakcorp.net
                              v-ray.jp

Comment

• It is a pain being locked to 1 build, probably much more maintenance work for you too. Almost all the render engines I've seen are just add-ons. LuxCore, Arnold, RenderMan, Redshift, Radeon pro render. All are just an add-on, so it's definitely possible. The only one I know that isn't is Octane. It's not a deal-breaker but it just creates seemingly unnecessary friction for you and users.
                                Last edited by JHorsley; 05-03-2020, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X