Vray for Blender 2.8 - when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by organic View Post
    Unfortunately there's a lot more to it than this.

I still have two V-Ray 3 licences and the reseller contacted me to advise that V-Ray 3 was going end of life once V-Ray 5 is released.

I discovered if I want to upgrade from 3 to 5 I have to also pay for V-Ray Next. (In this context it seems excessive to charge a user for licences where there is no intention to ever use it.) Then I went to the download page, where there was no mention of support for Blender, and the sales team seemed to think it didn't exist.

The nightlies page has nothing after October 2019, and the forum has a thread that is nearly a year old with still no release date.

There is no existing V-Ray 5 support for Blender, for either 2.83 or 2.79, and if it is eventually released support will be downgraded to Windows only.

We have moved from frequent updates and bug fixes from Andrei, to no new versions, to Windows only when it is eventually released. It seems like Blender support has been removed from the shop window and left in the basement to die.

I appreciate the support we have had from Chaos Group, as V-Ray is a highly capable render engine, and I understand that Blender users are an insignificant part of Chaos Group revenues, but we also have businesses to run and we need reliable tools. I made it clear to the reseller I wanted to upgrade to V-Ray 5 for Blender, on linux, and they were happy to invoice me for software that hasn't been released and that I won't be able to install on linux when it is available.

I nearly paid hundreds of euro for software that doesn't exist and that can't be installed. I'm not just disappointed, I'm angry.
    This is indeed quite disturbing offer. I would like to have a copy of it if it's possible > svetlozar.draganov@chaosgroup.com
    This will be discussed on a VP level, I'll personally initiate the discussion.

Thank you very much for your feedback!
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

• Originally posted by leandro_cs View Post
      Hi svetlozar.draganov , do we have any news about the development or even a estimated time for beta release?
      We are working on and I'll provide more details when I have them. Hopefully this will be very soon.
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

• Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post
        Hopefully this will be very soon.
        I've a scene ready to begin beta testing.
        I hope to see it before the end of July...it will be super!

Thank you for this update.

Comment

• Looking forward to that beta version. I have been rendering my Blender 2.8 projects with Cycles until now. The results are nice, but there is a moment when I need more speed and more control over lights, materials and rendering. And I'm totally missing V-Ray.

I just want to share my humble opinion here. Blender 2.8 means a huge change in the 3D design world for good. The prices of the traditional 3D softwares out there (3ds max, Maya, C4D, etc.) are totally prohibitive for new small companies, freelancers and enthusiasts. I have been an enthusiast since I was a teenager, and once I got to know Blender 2.7x a few years ago, I decided to buy a V-Ray license. I was not going to earn any money with my work but it allowed me to achieve excellent results. Now I am on my way to become a freelancer, and I would love to have V-Ray in my workflow. I hope ChaosGroup takes this train, bringing V-Ray to Blender 2.8x, because I trully believe it is worth. Maybe currently is not appealing from the economic point of view. But I hope it could be a very good investment for the near future, since many people could consider acquiring a V-Ray license for professional results.

Of course, Blender will never bring so much revenue as 3ds max does right now. This is totally understandable. But Blender, with its newest version, is becoming more and more known and used by enthusiasts, freelancers and small companies. Even it is becoming more and more stable with Long Term Support cycles. So... don't miss this train!

You have in this forum a very special mix of professionals and enthusiasts willing to help you to bring V-Ray for Blender to the highest quality level. Don't miss this opportunity and count on us.

Waiting for you, Chaosgroup!
          Last edited by enrique.monzo; 16-07-2020, 04:18 AM.

Comment

• Waiting with great anticipation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KJPP7GkuPU

Comment

• Holding deeply my breath after seeing yesterday a new commit in the blender_with_vray_additions/vb40 git page after months......lol
              architect at oona

Comment

• Also waiting to hear more on this. Come on guys!

Comment

• I guess I just don't understand what it takes to develop a version for 2.8. It's almost a year since it was released. Since switching to Blender last Nov. I've not been able to use my V-Ray license. Surely Blender is important enough to warrant some late nights?

Comment

• In the dark of my bedroom I was thinking: maybe autodesk told someone to make sure that blender for vray doesn't happen?
                    just my opinion.....

Comment

• Ha! I wouldn't think that. But Blender must surely be at the bottom of the "to do" list!

Comment

• Originally posted by Daf57 View Post
                        Since switching to Blender last Nov. I've not been able to use my V-Ray license.
                        You can still use your V-Ray licence with Blender 2.79

Comment

• That is true, I know I could do that, or even load each scene into Max and render ... however that's not the point of this thread.
                          Last edited by Daf57; 12-08-2020, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• I hope for a good news... soon
                            I'm off from work and I really like to test it. It should be perfect to have something to test during these days....

Comment

• For the nostalgic boys

Comment

• I noticed that the same neverending story happen just right now on the corona forum
                                Greets Phil
                                -----------------------
                                WS
                                DUAL E5-2683 V3 28c/56t @2,6Ghz
                                64GB Ram
                                ASUS ROG STRIX OC 1080ti
                                PALIT SUPER JETSTREAM 780ti

Node
                                I7 2600K @4,40GHZ,
                                32GB RAM

Comment

Working...