Vray for blender still great?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray for blender still great?

Just wondering here that Cycles renderer seems to be getting awesome. It has rendered viewport and pretty looking new shaders and it seems to be updated often. I was thinking if Vray still is better and more professional and usable than cycles for blender. Any thoughts? Feel free to post

From my perspective, the gap between those renderers are merging closer and closer. The best way to figure it out are just asking your self what project you will be making with this render, or just make same scene with those two renders and compare time that you spend till finished product, render quality, rendering speed. the best way is to know how to use them both. vray sucks that there is no view port rendering, all most all renderers for blender now have that. and it is huge time saver. Cycles still dont have ambient aclusion (dirt) material or effect, there is just OSL mode that works on CPU only (was testing 4months ago) vray curvature node was not implemented (8 month ago). the answer i think, that in blender camp they both are not ideal polished just use them both, and use it often that fits your needs and wallet.

Comment

Cycles loks better and better but vray it's more realistic,
      but the wait for realtime rendering is getting too long

Comment

I think it is. I wish we had real-time already, but other than that, I can do anything I can imagine in my mind with Vray and Blender.

Comment

I love VRay yet I think Cycles is great too, especially now with the denoiser, but last I checked it's missing one very simple thing that for me it should have, which is the ability to cache the geometry so you don't have to wait for the VBH to build every time you hit render, that very simple thing is a time saver and seams amazing to me they don't have it. It seams they used to but then they took it out at some point.

As for VRay, I tend to still look at it as what it should be when it get's implemented definitely in Blender (fully developed), not as it is now while it is still heavily under development. In other words, I still have not lost hope that one day soon it will catch up to what it is in all the other 3D packages that support it, including realtime viewport rendering ofc. But that is the great MYSTERY noone knows anything about on our side of the forum. No explanation as to why the years of delay and no further anouncements of progress in that regard. Maybe they're waiting for 2.8 to come out with the new viewport update, which means that Blender finally gets up to date with the OpenGL version (5 is it? now) instead of the current OpenGL viewport which is like version 2 or something....I would definitely understand if it has to do with that.

Comment

I've been wondering the same thing, and started looking out for other renderers, cycles will always have an edge over vray, just because its the official renderer, but I still think its slower and less realistic than vray,

however i tend to put more and more importance to how much time it takes to achieve good results and settings, placing lights and calibrating values on textures and such, i believe vray is too slow for that, and cycles beats vray on that aspect by a lot.
            (the constant f12, check, adjust value, f12, check, adjust value, f12... clutters your desktop very very fast, and takes a lot of time just to close the test renders...)

like others have said, vray for blender is not finished and sometimes things work and some others dont for no aparent reason, but its great that the nightlies are updated often, but not so good that you may break other things when updating.

IF eevee's nodes work seamlessly with cycles' nodes, I believe cycles will become so strong and fast to work with that I might change back to it, but that is a big IF

Comment

Vray for blender is still my ultimate favourite after all

Comment

Working...
              X