Network Rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Rendering

Tried to find this in the vray for houdini docs but no luck so far. My question is, in vray for houdini what do we need to have in our renderfarm? Only a vray render node license is required? Or also a houdini engine for each render node?

As far as rendering VRScenes is concerned, you'd be good to go with Render Node licenses only. V-Ray certainly does not require a Houdini engine license. A Houdini license itself is also not needed if you're sending the scenes from the command line rather than the Houdini GUI.

There's also the distributed rendering option on the V-Ray ROP itself. It also only requires V-Ray Render Node licenses on the slave machines - a Houdini license for the slaves is not required.

We ship a vray.bat with the V-Ray for Houdini archive - copying the archive contents on the slave machines and calling the bat file in the command line as "./vray.bat -server" should be enough. Note that the vray.bat file is looking for some QT libraries in the Houdini install folder, though. I was told by bdancer that this can be worked around on Linux, unfortunately I don't know if that is the case on Windows.
    If you have V-Ray for Maya or Standalone already set up on the farm, that should work straight away.

Hope that helps!
    gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Everything depends on how you want to organize your farm.
      If you want to render through V-Ray DR you'll need only V-Ray Render node.
      If you want to render exported *.vrscene files you'll need only V-Ray Render node.
      If you want to render though *.hip files then you'll need V-Ray Render node as well as a valid Houdini setup.
      V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
      andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
      Support Request

Comment

Appreciate the responses! Are there any tutorials or walkthroughs to rendering a houdini scene via .vrscene and via command line? Ideally with Deadline and/or HQueue

Comment

Currently not. We'll prepare something ASAP and ping you.

Cheers!

Comment

Appreciate it! Several people i know have the same doubts and would like a simple walkthrough, hopefully it will clear things up. Thank you

Comment

Hi again, any update on this?

Comment

Hey, got distracted with other things and postponed the tutorials. Please excuse me for the delay

I have one prepared for HQueue and will write up something on using V-Ray for Houdini as Standalone later today - that should be fairly short. We should make those two public by the end of tomorrow.

I've also got a Deadline setup so documenting this shouldn't take too long. I'll add a Deadline walk-through on the docs next week.

All the best!

Comment

Thanks for the quick update!

Comment

Hey,

I've published the HQueue guide here: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...erROPforHQueue
                    You will only need the "Setting up the V-Ray Renderer ROP for HQueue" section if you already have a working HQueue setup.

Please excuse me if there are any typos. I published the page straight away so you guys are not further delayed. The Documentation team will hopefully have time to review it in the next few days for errors I've missed.

All the best!

Comment

Hey,

here's the other guide on using the vray.exe file as standalone.

https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...+as+Standalone

Please ping me if there's anything I should add.

All the best!

Comment

So far so good, it helps a lot, thanks! Any ETA on the Deadline one? We don't use HQueue, only deadline so for us right now that's the most useful one.

Comment

Originally posted by Moriah View Post
                          So far so good, it helps a lot, thanks! Any ETA on the Deadline one? We don't use HQueue, only deadline so for us right now that's the most useful one.
                          Deadline is pretty easy, you just need to setup path to vray executable first - via plugins menu. Then you can submit from Submit->3D>V-Ray.
                          Attached Files
                          Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net

Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com

Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

Comment

In addition you want to make sure that you use the standalone that comes with vfh. easiest here is to deploy it on a server and use a preload python script in deadline to set all the variables.

Comment

^ yup, that is basically my setup and what I plan on writing a short guide on.

Any ETA on the Deadline one?
                              Unless nothing urgent pops up, I hope to publish it tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X