Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to bind custom volume fields in shader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to bind custom volume fields in shader?

Hi,

how can I bind/access a custom volume field within the current object in the shader? I can only see standard bindings on the Bindings tab in the VolumeGrid Shader.

Regards

Look at the fields tab in the shader, you can see what volume gets bound to what shader component, and you can change it.
    Hristo Velev
    MD/FX Lead, Bottleship VFX
    Sofia, Bulgaria

Comment

Ah yes, it's called bindings in vray 5 which is more in line with Houdini convention
      Hristo Velev
      Sofia, Bulgaria

Comment

Hi,

I need to bind additional fields to do some crazy math and use the result as input for the shader. In Arnold for example there are two nodes for binding additional float and vector fields: "Volume Sample Float" and "Volume Sample RGB". In Mantra you can simply use the "Bind" node et voila. Now since I'm using vray (obviously) I need to know how this can be done.

Comment

Unfortunately we can't do that yet, as far as I know. It's extremely important, in being able to build your own shader, and last I saw it was announced that the volume tex shaders will be able to read a volume and the usual nodes will be able to be used and then plug the result in the shader, but it's not there yet.

It's important to get more voices supporting that, so a flexible volume shading pipeline shows up in V-Ray!
          Hristo Velev
          Sofia, Bulgaria

Comment

I would def support that, it would be great

Comment

Maybe, as a "workaround", you could add some more bindings to the "Bindings" tab to drive other attributes, such as absorption color, which in my case is the reason for this thread. Then one could do the math outside the shader and bind the result in here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bindings.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1127490

I'm sure this can be done overnight, in the next nightlies? For tomorrow?

Comment

Yeah that's another thing - there's no scattering in the current volume shader as far as I know either, which is sorely missing.
                Hristo Velev
                Sofia, Bulgaria

Comment

any updates on this? shading volumes in vray should be improved a lot.

Comment

yes, +1 to every improvement mentioned here

Comment

+1. We render lots of volumes in VRay every day, and really could use an improved feature set as well..

Comment

Working...
                      X