VR workflow with other applications. Using Vray VR stereo and cube 6x1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VR workflow with other applications. Using Vray VR stereo and cube 6x1

So today I successfully created a simple still frame Vray VR render to throw on my iPhone 5s and use IRIS mobile App to see the image.

The next step is testing an animated camera that moves forward through a room.

Maybe make it a loop-able camera animation so that it will be seamless from the beginning and the end just moving forward easily
    and rotating only on Y to turn slowly to navigate so that the view can still look around without the initial camera move being too jarring.

I had a few ideas within Maya but also thought of some Houdini tricks. Is there a way to export the camera setup that is created using the Vray stereo camera with the 6x1 cube setup?

I think the general idea I see happening is that I want to export the camera out of Maya using alembic but I realize that alembic is not going to recreate a camera that has all 6 (12 with stereo) views of the cube render.

Is there some specification to get this 6 camera (12 stereo) setup out of Maya into other applications (Houdini being of first interest)? Since Vray is basically handling this 6x1 cube render internally there isn't really a way to hand that off to anything with alembic. I'd get the original camera where it is but not the left eye/right eye distance, convergence etc etc.

I'm imagining having to create 6 cameras per eye and also using the "off axis" setup described here.

http://elevr.com/cg-vr-1/

Any ideas on this one appreciated. Testing continues.
    ------
    KC

Is there some specification to get this 6 camera (12 stereo) setup out of Maya into other applications
    As you supposed this is not possible. Cube 6x1 camera is an internal V-Ray feature.
    Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Yeah I realized you guys have tuned this quite thoroughly. I did a cube grid test and noticed the inter ocular is quite a tricky setup as I can see how it distorted the grid to help the convergence at certain angles. Realized that simple camera positions won't work. We are just looking at exporting houdini geo into an alembic cache into Maya now for sync with Vray.
      ------
      KC

Comment

Working...
      X