Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sRGB and Adobe RGB

Hi all

I know this has been covered a little before, but I just wanted to recap and to get the latest process.

I am rendering a red carpaint, and in the the VFB the red is bright and when I open the exr in photoshop and assign an Adobe RGB profile, the colour is different/more desaturated.

What is a little confusing, among other things, is that the sRGB gammut is smaller than Adobe RGB, so one might guess that the colour conversion would keep the brighter colour intact?

Any info would be cool.

p.s. by adjusting the saturation in photoshop, we can achieve the same red, but just wanted to get the same look in both VFB and psd on opening.

Cheers

Assigning a profile is not a conversion. You need convert to profile to keep the same look.

Daniel
    Daniel Schmidt - Developer of psd-manager

Comment

Is that also true, when the exr hasn't a profile and I assign one on opening?

And would converting the image to Adobe RGB keep the same saturation as the VFB?

Cheers

Comment

When opening an exr, this is the dialogue box:

I've tried Assigning and the converting check box, for sRGB and Adobe RGB. Both reds are less saturated than the VFB.

Does somebody know the correct workflow for opening an .exr and to see the same colours as viewed in the VFB?
        Attached Files

Comment

Is the VFB set to Adobe RGB in the ICC correction or to the default sRGB? If not try setting the VFB to Adobe RGB, then open the .exr file in Photoshop with assign Adobe RGB.
          Are you using a high color gamut monitor that can display all the Adobe RGB colors? If not you should be working in sRGB.
          If you really wanted to get precise you would use a spectrometer to profile your monitor, then use that ICC profile in the VFB and when opening in Photoshop. Once in Photoshop you can convert to Adobe RGB or sRGB as you like.
          I work with 3dsMax and not Maya so there may be a difference.
          Greg Geffert
          Spectrum Brands
          www.greggeffert.com

Comment

Hi tvc15

Thanks for the info.

I'm on a ColorEdge CG247 with a built in measurement device. We've setup Targets for Printing, Web design and Photography.

Where might I find the Adobe RGB ICC profile, to load in to the VFB?

Cheers

Comment

Here's the VFB with the AdobeRGB1998.icc loaded, vs the exr opened in photoshop with a 'Assign profile (Adobe RGB 199' and 'convert document to working RGB':

Close, but is there a way to match the VFB exactly?
              Attached Files

Comment

Windows keeps ICC and ICM profiles in this folder, C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color
                You should find the Adobe RGB profile in there.
                Also, If you choose 'Load RGB' from the Photoshop color settings menu it will likely open to this folder by default.
                Side note: my Xrite spectrometer saves my monitor profile as a ICM file but the Vray VFB only shows ICC files by default. If you enter the wildcard *.* first you will then be able to find and load ICM profiles into the VFB.
                Greg Geffert
                Spectrum Brands
                www.greggeffert.com

Comment

I'm on a mac here, and loading RGB in photoshop only shows iso coated V2 (which is what we use here for the CMYK space).

I downloaded the ICC file from Adobe, so one would assume that the render and photoshop image would match.

Comment

3dsMax on Windows is not 'color aware' and ignores my monitor calibration, so the only way for me to get a precise match between VFB and Photoshop is to load my Xrite created monitor profile in each. Photoshop is color aware and adjusts to my monitor calibration, so I can convert from my monitor profile to standard color profiles from there such as sRGB or Adobe RGB.
                    I see you are using a Mac, as well as running Maya, so I can't be sure it's the same.
                    Greg Geffert
                    Spectrum Brands
                    www.greggeffert.com

Comment

Cool, no worries man. Thanks for the info.

Hopefully one of the devs will chip in, with a Mac/Maya workflow.

Comment

Or simply put, what is the recommended workflow, for the image to look the same, in both the VFB and Photoshop?
                        Last edited by sherridge101; 22-04-2017, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Windows and 3dsMax here, but the workflow is the same for our Maya guys here at work, I think:
                          You have to load you calibrated monitor profile in the VFB. Then load the saved EXR in PS and make sure the image loaded in PS is in sRGB space. This way, the render you see in the VFB will match exactly what is in PS. At least on Windows and 3dsMax...
                          Don't load AdobeRGB oder sRGB in VFB, that is the wrong way. You have to use your last measured profile that is used by your OS.
                          Last edited by kosso_olli; 23-04-2017, 08:01 AM.
                          https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Cheers.

How or what do you use, to save out the calibrated monitor profile?

Comment

With a colorimeter, from Datacolor or X-Rite. Most probably your Eizo does all this on its own with its built in calibrator. Will ask our color-guy if and where these profiles are saved.
                              https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Working...
                              X