Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I doing wrong? Vray Proxy rendering gray

Hi,

I am new to Vray proxies but think they could help a lot (rendering heavy car model).

I am having problems with getting proxies to render though.. Here's what I'm doing-

I select my car (via drag selecting all objects) and go to the Vray tab - Create Vray Proxy
    in the settings I chose a destination, I chose 'Export all selected in a single file', select 'Automatically create proxies', and leave everything else at default. It exports in a few minutes
    In my new scene I go to vray tab and select 'Import Vray Proxy' and chose the file. It comes in as super low res looking mesh, appears to have all materials in it and everything looks okay...
    Renders gray and super low res model :/

What am I missing?

When exporting vrmesh files you are actualy exporting just the selected geometry(this includes vertices and face topology, texture channels, face material IDs, smoothing groups, and normals) but not its materials. That is why when you import your vrmesh files you need to apply thier original materials.

For more information please refer to our online documantation:
    https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...+%7C+VRayProxy
    Nikolay Kusht | chaos.com
    Team Lead, 3D Support | contact us

Comment

In addition to what Niki said I would like add that if Automatically Create Proxy option is enabled, V-Ray will automatically import proxy and apply its orriginal material after proxy creation.
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Thank you both!

Okay so when I create my proxy in the same scene it generates this vray mesh material. It's automatically applied to my new car proxy, however at this point it is not even rendering the texture maps (actually, it is rendering the textures for the wheels, but literally nothing else. That seems odd?) Everything has the right material applied it's just missing the texture maps.

In the hypershade the vray mesh material has all these textures piping into it, so in the hypershade it looks like it should work.. Is there something else I should be looking at?
        Last edited by emartin8907; 17-08-2017, 11:10 AM.

Comment

This is something strange, it shouldn't be like that.
          Can you send us the original scene before converting geometry to proxy and the version wit the proxy in order to check what happened?
          Can you also check if everything work fine on a new scene with few basic primitives?
          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Dang I was hoping I just missed something.
            It works fine in a test scene I just made with 3 simple primitives and 3 maps.
            I will send you the scene right now. thank you

Comment

In the meantime, you could try exporting to .vrscene and import your object back in as a VRayScene node. This would also bring back shaders and link to textures. Textures can be with relative paths if needed, but relinking them for farms might require an extra step. Lights are also saved within the file and there's an option on whether to use them or not.
              Alex Yolov
              Product Manager
              V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
              www.chaos.com

Comment

Here's some (hopefully) useful links:
                https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...ay+Scene+Files
                https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...+%7C+VRayScene
                Alex Yolov
                Product Manager
                V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
                www.chaos.com