Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use Embree with AMD Threadripper?

Hi,

we have a brand new render node with the AMD Threadripper 1950X for rendering Maya (2018.1) / VRay stuff (v 3.6) under Windows 10.

During test batch rendering the render exit after some frames. We thought that there was a hardware failure, but after disabling the "Use Embree" option, the VRay renders without problems.

Is this a known problem/behavior? Can't believe as I read that the Threadripper supports Embree as well?

Thanks for any enlightenment,
    Lars

We are not aware of the problem and it might be related to something else... We have a Threadripper and a Ryzen machine here and we render on them all the time without issues. It would be best if you can get us a crash dump or a scene to support@chaosgroup.com

Embree works fine on AMD processors; we compile it with generic SSE instructions that are not specific to Intel CPUs.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

A bit off topic, but is there any differences in the image between AMD and Intel? I know there used to be, but Im not sure if that is long gone? Can you render an animation on a mixed Intel and AMD farm? Or use Intel and AMD slaves when DR-rendering?
      CG Artist - RnD and CG Supervision at Industriromantik

Comment

Originally posted by Algehov View Post
        A bit off topic, but is there any differences in the image between AMD and Intel? I know there used to be, but Im not sure if that is long gone? Can you render an animation on a mixed Intel and AMD farm? Or use Intel and AMD slaves when DR-rendering?
        I've not noticed any issues myself and nobody's complained so far - that's all the info we have.

Best regards,
        Vlado

I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado. We will check if again if the option makes any difference.

And no, as far as we can tell, there is not difference between Intel and AMD - the images looks exactly the same. At least that is our observation after the first week.

Comment

Alright! Great to hear.

Cheers
            CG Artist - RnD and CG Supervision at Industriromantik

Comment

Just a quick update: The computer has a hardware failure and must be replaced. So, VRay is innocent.

Comment

Working...
              X