VRay domelight vs. Redshift domelight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay domelight vs. Redshift domelight

So, I made a post on the redshift forums because I was converting a scene to redshift to see how it works and it looked like the lighting and GI passes were funny looking. They came back saying that their passes were actually correct and what they said made sense, but I think the VRay passes are actually far more useful from a compositing standpoint, so I just wanted to clarify what is happening behind the scenes so I can have a better understanding...

I posted this image, VRay on L, redshift on R and what the lightdome image looks like

They said the lightdome is the direct light pass and the bounced light is the GI pass, which technically makes sense, but it looks like VRay is doing some intelligent seperation of direct vs GI rays for the passes, which if I'm correct is really awesome and way better in practice for adjustment later. Is that whats going on?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by smbell; 04-03-2018, 09:48 AM.

These are different ways to split the light into specific render elements. In both cases, the Lighting and GI elements add up to the whole thing, so they are both valid.

Our approach having more light in the GI may be more convenient for tweaks in post, but in the future we'll change it, as changing it will allow some important optimizations.
    V-Ray for Maya dev team lead

Comment

I see, cool! Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Working...
      X