Gobo on a spot light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gobo on a spot light?

Can V-Ray for Maya support a gobo image on a spotlight?
    Like this example in Arnold: https://support.solidangle.com/display/AFMUG/Gobo

I have been able to get a similar effect using a Rect Light and setting directional value to 1. Is that my only option?
    I tried making a Maya spotlight with an image, but it did not work.

Many thanks in advance.

I think what you're looking for are the Use Rect Tex check box and Rect Tex options on the rect light? Plug your gobo image into the light's texture slot.

Comment

Thanks SonyBoy, I am aware this is possible. But I was just checking I wasnt missing something in terms of this being possible with a spot light.

Comment

After looking into a bit more details about this, it seems that in V-Ray you can get (mostly) the same result by just connection a texture to the "color" plug of the spot light. Then all the control goes into the texture's placement and the light intensity and so on. I guess for more complex effects you can always use a layered texture or other means of blending multiple effects. From my tests, it seems that Arnold just handles it through connecting the gobo filter, but doesn't produce the same result when a texture is simply plugged into the light's color like V-Ray (and Maya Software for that matter) does.

See if that helps you get the result you want.
        Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
        www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
        X