Increasing the effective focus range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing the effective focus range?

I have a model turntable that requires a very blurry background using the DOF effect. But when I blur the background by the amount it needs by opening up the aperture, parts of the model in my turntable starts to become out of focus as well. I want to cheat and increase the range where objects are in still in focus, without significantly lowering the blurring amount at infinite. This is fairly trivial to do in comp when blurring in post, but is it possible in VRay, or is VRay DOF locked to be physically accurate?
    __
    https://surfaceimperfections.com/

DoF would usually be locked to a focus distance. I can roughly how this could happen if you're just specifying a constant focus distance and the object has an irregular shape causing some parts of it to come out of focus when turning. Is that the case? Can you post an image?
    You can create a helper locator and use a distanceBetween node for the focus distance, where distanceBetween gets the camera position as one input and the locator's position as the other. Then depending on the object's shape - constrain it somewhere on the object.
    Or animate the focus distance if needed without using distnaceBetween.
    Those are just guesses, it would be hard to tell without seeing any examples
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Of course, all of this is when using f-number to control the focus area doesn't work.
      Alex Yolov
      Product Manager
      V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
      www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
      X