Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vrscene files and render elements?

Hey,

Is it possible to use render elements when rendering vrscene files inside of another scene (using vrscene assets essentially) and is it possible to use the 'Material Select' element to isolate materials that are assigned to specific objects that are contained within the vrscene assets?

I am trying to pipeline a project that requires several assets to be rendered from the same maya scene and vrscenes seem a good candidate for achieving this. However, our 2D pipeline relies upon using the Material Select render element for several of our shaders on the assets.

Any information would be really appreciated

Thanks

Originally posted by brobins View Post
    Is it possible to use render elements when rendering vrscene files inside of another scene (using vrscene assets essentially)
    This is possible, render elements like GI,Diffuse,Lighting,Reflection,Refraction,Specular and etc will be calculated as if .vrscene is a part of the scene.
    and is it possible to use the 'Material Select' element to isolate materials that are assigned to specific objects that are contained within the vrscene assets?
    Some masking elements however like Material Select won't work right away. The reason for this is that even though you are applying the same material in exported .vrscene and in MaterialSelect render element, V-Ray doesn't know that this is the same material and it won't include the contribution of the .vrscene file into MaterialSelect element. One way to do what you are looking for is to use .vrscene override functionality by creating new or applying existing materials and applying them to .vrscene objects, this will guarantee that V-Ray uses a material from the scene and it will properly extract it in MaterialSelect element - I did that I can confirm it works fine. The other way that comes to my mind is somehow to select a material from the .vrscene into MaterialSelect element - I'm not sure if this is possible but I'll research and I'll update the thread when I got something to share.

The following information might be very helpful if you are wondering how to use .vrscene override functionality:
    https://www.chaosgroup.com/blog/how-...n-applications
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

I have discussed that with one of our developers and the outcome is we'll develop a native support for that.
      New feature request has been added into our system - VMAYA-7753 - use this code when looking for status updates.

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post
        This is possible, render elements like GI,Diffuse,Lighting,Reflection,Refraction,Specular and etc will be calculated as if .vrscene is a part of the scene.

Some masking elements however like Material Select won't work right away. The reason for this is that even though you are applying the same material in exported .vrscene and in MaterialSelect render element, V-Ray doesn't know that this is the same material and it won't include the contribution of the .vrscene file into MaterialSelect element. One way to do what you are looking for is to use .vrscene override functionality by creating new or applying existing materials and applying them to .vrscene objects, this will guarantee that V-Ray uses a material from the scene and it will properly extract it in MaterialSelect element - I did that I can confirm it works fine. The other way that comes to my mind is somehow to select a material from the .vrscene into MaterialSelect element - I'm not sure if this is possible but I'll research and I'll update the thread when I got something to share.

The following information might be very helpful if you are wondering how to use .vrscene override functionality:
        https://www.chaosgroup.com/blog/how-...n-applications

Thanks for that. Good info.

Can I ask what the snippet would look like to apply an existing material 'shaderA' to a the .vrscene file overriding 'shaderA' from inside the file?

Thanks

Comment

There is no such snippet in the article and I'm not such how existing shader could be used as a override.
          Maybe you can get the entire shader from the .vrscene and apply it again from the override tab?

Comment

Using an existing material from the maya scene onto objects from a VRayScene will be possible in V-Ray Next.
            Alex Yolov
            Product Manager
            V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
            www.chaos.com

Comment

Would it be possible to get a status update on VMAYA-7753 ?

Is it now possible to use a material from the maya scene as an override snippet on a vrscene file? We are now using Next in production and would be keen to use this workflow more.

Thanks

Comment

Not yet, I'm afraid. This is still not done.
                Alex Yolov
                Product Manager
                www.chaos.com

Comment

Hello,

Just wanted to check on the progress of VMAYA-7753.

Thanks

Comment

Hello,

Just wanted to check on the progress of VMAYA-7753.

Thanks
                    I'm afraid there's no progress on this yet.
                    Alex Yolov
                    Product Manager
                    www.chaos.com

Comment

Hello,

Is there any update on VMAYA-7753?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X