Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metalness and Glossy Fresnel.

Hi,

I'm having problems when trying to use Metalness 1.0 and Glossy Fresnel together. If Metalness is set to on and then I turn Glossy Fresnel on. the material goes really dark. VRay Next. IOR 1.6 with Metalness set to 1.0 looks great - turn on Glossy Fresnel - material goes really dark - change IOR to 20 - material looks ok(ish) again.

Anyone else notice/explain this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by wizlon; 11-01-2019, 03:13 AM.

By default, the Glossy Fresnel is switched "ON" and when using Metalness of 1.0 it should give you correct results.

Here are some examples of metal shaders:
    https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...al+Shaders+IOR

You could also find useful the following blog post:
    https://www.chaosgroup.com/blog/understanding-metalness

If you still have issues with your shaders you could send us some examples along with a test scene to support@chaosgroup.com, so we could investigate this further.
    Nikolay Kusht | chaos.com
    Team Lead, 3D Support | contact us

Comment

Hm, Glossy Fresnel needs to be ON for metalness to work (otherwise it doesn't work at all). For some reason it seems like the exact opposite is true in your case?

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I assumed a 0% diffuse component should be used here (as per Arnold) I'll read the docs and re-try.

Cheers.

Comment

On that note, while the metal examples are useful it would also be helpful to include ALL settings in them to avoid confusion about stuff like this. I think many of us are likely to have developed the habit of dropping diffuse on metal type materials.

Comment

This would be best solved with presets, which is something that we will be working on.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
            X