AA issues cryptomatte/MaterialName

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA issues cryptomatte/MaterialName

We are having trouble rendering Cryptomattes with MaterialIDs in VRay for Maya.
    You can find a MAYA example scene in the attachment.

Cryptomatte in ObjectIDs and AssetNames is working fine in vray.
    But for MaterialIDs There is no anti-aliasing at all.

We're using Vray Next Click image for larger version  Name:	vray_version.jpg Views:	1 Size:	14.5 KB ID:	1041381

We also tested with update1 but the same issue remains:
    VRay does no anti-aliasing between materials for Cryptomatte Click image for larger version  Name:	vray_render_full.jpg Views:	1 Size:	125.6 KB ID:	1041391

The issue is more obvious if we take a closer look: Click image for larger version  Name:	vray_render_close.jpg Views:	1 Size:	90.8 KB ID:	1041390

The strange thing is that the PREVIEW which doesn't really work on Cryptomattes seems to do some kind of anti-aliasing (although we assume AA is correct?) : Click image for larger version  Name:	vray_preview_full.jpg Views:	2 Size:	105.9 KB ID:	1041389

A closer look: Click image for larger version

Name:	image_51589.jpg
Views:	1042
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1041388

It would be absolute overkill to switch separate materials to single meshes and/or to convert everything to uv's etc. This would get us too far and explode overall complexity.
    Even in this simple sphere example it would be a shame to be forced to use another approach than the obvious one just because the renderer has trouble with AA of cryptomattes (not in preview mode though)

We did the test with Lambert Legacy materials and with VRay materials.
    We're using Lamberts on some projects to get a 2D Look. For those projects everything else works fine (ie. all other Renderlayers/AOV's etc. except Cryptomatte).

The Cryptomatte issue on material IDs holds us back to gain precious/expensive time during compositing.
    We tested the same issue with Arnold and got no issues whatsoever.
    So far, vray is working fine for us. Hope we're just overlooking something and that the obvious solution is not far away. But we can't find it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jerre.l; 03-07-2019, 07:25 AM.

We are having trouble rendering Cryptomattes with MaterialIDs in VRay for Maya.
    There is no anti aliasing at all.
    Cryptomatte in ObjectIDs and AssetNames is working fine.

We're using
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vray_version.jpg
Views:	964
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	1041398

We also tested with update1 but the same issue remains:
    VRay does no anti aliasing between materials for Cryptomatte

Name:	vray_render_full.jpg
Views:	987
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1041401

The issue is more obvious if we take a closer look:

Name:	vray_render_close.jpg
Views:	1003
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1041402

The strange thing is that the PREVIEW which doesn't really work on Cryptomattes seems to do some kind of anti-aliasing (although we assume AA is correct?) :

Name:	vray_preview_full.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1041400

A closer look

Name:	vray_preview_closeup.jpg
Views:	1005
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1041399

It would be absolute overkill to switch separate materials to single meshes and/or to convert everything to uv's etc. This would get us too far and explode overall complexity.
    Even in this simple sphere example it would be a shame to be forced to use another approach than the obvious one just because the renderer has trouble with AA of cryptomattes (not in preview mode though)

We did the test with Lambert Legacy materials and with VRay materials.
    We're using Lamberts on some projects to get a 2D Look. For those projects everything else works fine (ie. all other Renderlayers/AOV's etc. except Cryptomatte).
    The Cryptomatte issue on material IDs holds us back to gain precious/expensive time during compositing.

We tested the same issue with Arnold and got no issues whatsoever.
    So far, vray was working fine for us. We guess we're just overlooking something and that the obvious sollution is not far away. But we can't find it.
    Projects may need a lot of workarounds (= cost more) if we cannot use Cryptomatte.

Could you please help us out with this issue?
    Last edited by jerre.l; 03-07-2019, 07:39 AM.

Comment

I would like to note that Cryptomatte render element is supported only when rendering in Bucked mode. The Interactive Photorealistic Renderer(IPR) should not be used as a reference since it would not display the Cryptomatte correctly.

Could you give us more details on what exactly mean by "Cryptomattes with MaterialID"? Note that the Cryptomatte ID mattes are determined by the following types:
      Node name
      Material name
      Node name with hierarchy
      V-Ray user attribute
      Asset (reference scene) name
      Sub object name

Which one do you use? Is it possible to send us an example scene?

For more information please refer to our online documentation:
      https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...tte-Parameters

Please note that currently the "Material name" ID type is not supported if you are rendering with CUDA

I have noticed that you have also reported this to support@chaosgroup.com. Let's continue the communication over the emails.
      Nikolay Kusht | chaos.com
      Team Lead, 3D Support | contact us

Comment

Has any progress been made on this issue?

Comment

After further investigation, it turns out that the issue was indeed present in V-Ray Next, hotfix 1, but since then we had made a lot of improvements and changes the issue is not occurring with the latest official build of V-Ray Next and V-Ray 5 for Maya.

If you notice anything with the latest builds, please let us know.

Comment

It is still an issue with Vray 5 1.3 for 3dsMax 2021

Comment

So i just realized that the search engine dropped me in the Vray for Maya section of the forum, oops. I'll see if I can find a similar thread for 3dsmax, or create a new thread.

Comment

If the issue is present on both platforms it is ok to have your results here. Please send us your scene so we could take a look. Also, are you using the latest version of V-Ray 5?

Comment

I don't have a scene at the moment that I can share due to client NDAs, but it's easy to reproduce.
                  Create any object that has multiple material face IDs,
                  Apply a Multi/Sub-Object material
                  I've been using the new VBF layer masking for testing

I'm using Vray 5 v1.3

If I get time, I can create a simple scene for uploading if I need to.

Comment

Working...
                  X