ZBrush 4R3 Vector Displacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZBrush 4R3 Vector Displacement

I was wondering if anyone had a working method for setting up vector displacement from maps generated in the new version of ZBrush?

I have tried in every way I can think of. I've tried the mudbox workflow in case that worked. I can get it to render in mental ray fine by outputting the RGB colour into the vector displacement part of the displacement node and setting the vector encoding to absolute and space to world.
    I'm unsure if displacement bounds should be explicit or auto?(it doesnt seem to make a difference) same with keep continuity.

I keep getting results similar to the attached file.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture_ZBrush_Diag.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	873996

I will continue to look into how it's done and post if I find out.

Thanks
    Last edited by tobin55; 29-02-2012, 10:58 AM.

Are you able to get the Mudbox vector displacement working in the first place? I have to install Zbrush to see what they have done... are there any tutorials for their vector displacement?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

The only information so far is on
      http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthr...-4R3-It-s-Here!

and in the WhatsNew pdf that comes with it.

I have not tested the mudbox vector displacement workflow but have read about the workflow(at some point) I don't know if it's changed since it was posted. As far as I have seen it works. I have tried it following the guide on spot3d as well as the method involving multiplying +- average and blend color as well as every other way I could think of.
      Thanks

Comment

I am getting exactly the same results here unfortunately.

Fired up Zbrush 4R3, loaded the default sphere. Touched no other controls or options and exported the diagnostic scene.

Followed the vector instruction from here http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya...splacement.htm

My render looks just like yours. Lots of lumpy balls, no sphere.

On a more general note, Vlado it would be great to have some kind of definitive interoperability info for Zbrush > Vray for Maya (like the Mudbox link above). It's a very widely used pair of programs. Seems like every time I try to bring something back from Zbrush I spend a day hunting the web for info on displacement/filtering/bit depth/etc issues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zbrushVectorInVray.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	845068

Comment

Originally posted by darloman View Post
          On a more general note, Vlado it would be great to have some kind of definitive interoperability info for Zbrush > Vray for Maya (like the Mudbox link above).
          Yes, I will make a page, as soon as I figure it out myself. I wish those guys would settle on a standard way of doing this stuff, beats me why everything has to be slightly different.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

agreed. vector is a vector...
            Dmitry Vinnik
            Silhouette Images Inc.
            ShowReel:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
            https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Great news Vlado, looking forward to it. I don't envy you trying to interface with the moving feast that is Zbrush, but (a) the visual rewards for getting it right are high and (b) it's become almost as ubiquitous as Photoshop in 3d pipelines these days.

Comment

Originally posted by darloman View Post
                I don't envy you trying to interface with the moving feast that is Zbrush,
                Superb wording . On that note, while getting a displacement map workflow stable is ideal, I also have a dream of being able to use vrMesh files straight out of ZBrush during prototype stages (often even for final render if not animated). I usually convert using PLY to .vrmesh, but it'd be lovely to have a ZBrush plugin to export vrmesh files direct.

Comment

curious as to whether there has been any progress on this front. Is there going to have to be a specific vray plugin to deal with the way zbrush generates vector displacement?

V. Miller

Comment

Was solution found about VD of ZBrush 4R3?

The combination of V-Ray and ZBrush's VD is very important.
                    If it supports, it will become a big selling point.

wish to support by 2013 (max,maya) build.

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
                    oakcorp.net
                    v-ray.jp

Comment

Well as it turned out the trial of ZBrush doesn't support vector displacement, so I didn't have any way to check this out. We are talking to some guys at Pixologic to get a version for testing.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Any news yet? This should be super important for anybody using both vray and zbrush.

Best

Thomas

Comment

We had a more indepth look; ZBrush appears to be using a different UVW space that what V-Ray expects. At this point I'm not sure what would be easier, to fix ZBrush or V-Ray... we'll see.

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

Zbrush flips on Y I believe. Apparently pixologic said a few years back that they are operating in true 3d space, and Photoshop and all the others are upside down. Interesting eh?

But I second the vector displacement,. I'm done with my whole character now at work except for adding vector or any displacement from Zbrush to Maya/Vray.

I'll buy the beer.

Comment

You can always extract the vdm map from mudbox with your zbrush model. Just import the highest level into mudbox and use reconstruct subdivision levels. And then extract a vdm map.
                              Johan Vikstrom
                              Swiss International AB - Head of 3D - www.swiss.se

Comment

Working...
                              X