No announcement yet.

IPR in 3.57.01 support keyframe change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPR in 3.57.01 support keyframe change?

Hi,

Vray ver. 3.57.01 build 27241. Maya 2017, Win 7.

As IPR is rendering, I scrub the timeline to change the keyframe and then Maya freeze. I can't stop IPR via VFB or Maya's render view or access any other UI element. In Task Manager, it doesn't show Maya as "not responding", but still I have to kill the process from there.

Thanks,
    Jason
    always curious...

I am not able to replicate that into our environment, maybe the scene I am using is way too simple or maybe I'm not doing the correct actions.
    I tested it with the build you mentioned 27241, with the latest build from today 27252 and with the latest official 3.40.06 but they all worked the same way.

There is definitely a problem with the timeline scrubbing, it updates only once or twice this is something that is already into bug-tracking system but there are not freezes or crashes.
    Here is a short video from my test:
    http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...2_08-54-40.mp4

Does the issue occur if you are using another scene like the one used in my tests, just a sphere with animated translation?
    Does it occur with other versions like latest official 3.40.06 or latest nightly 27252?
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

I have not tested it with newer build yet. I wasn't really trying to see how responsive the IPR is when scrubbing timeline. I simply want to "skip" to another frame to check lighting during IPR. For example, I IPR frame 1, pause IPR, jump to frame 12, resume IPR, and it crashes.

Or, I did a batch render, created a new render layer with some selected objects, start IPR for the new render layer, and Maya crashed.

I am not sure if it still has to do with the "cache bitmps" for ptex textures. I did turn "cache bitmaps" off, but it doesn't improve the stability of IPR.
      always curious...

Comment

Can you check what's your setting for animation evaluation mode? You can find it in Maya's settings and preferences > "Settings" section > Animation. Try setting evaluation mode to DG instead the default Parallel and see if that helps.
        Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
        www.chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post
          Can you check what's your setting for animation evaluation mode? You can find it in Maya's settings and preferences > "Settings" section > Animation. Try setting evaluation mode to DG instead the default Parallel and see if that helps.
          It is set to parallel. I can test it with the DG mode. Last night, it crashed again after I created a new render layer and IPR that render layer. I wasn't scrubbing the timeline though. Bitmap cache was disabled just in case my ptex maps are causing any troubles.
          always curious...

Comment

Hey Yolov and devs,

As I set the animation evaluation mode to DG mode, I didn't get Maya crash. However, I am also using a newer build (27280), so I am not sure if it is the newer build or a different animation evaluation mode that is saving it from crash.

Still, I could not get IPR to work as I change to a different frame. I've tried directly change to a different in the time slider with IPR running, or pausing IPR first and then change to a different frame. Either case, I got the error message below.

Code:
            // Error: line 1: V-Ray : Exception [module=1] : Unhandled exception c0000005
            Maya didn't crash in either case. It's just that the IPR will be forced to exit and I have to re-start it.

ENV: Maya 2017 update 3. Vray build 27280. Win 7.
            always curious...

Comment

Does it happen on a simple scene? Can you share a scene that we can use to reproduce this?
              27280 is from the stable branch, it should also have the ability to use IPR in-process (i.e. without a separate process for running the IPR). Can you try switching to the old method and see if it also fails there? Render settings > IPR tab > advanced > use out of process IPR.
              Alex Yolov
              Product Manager
              www.chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post
                Does it happen on a simple scene? Can you share a scene that we can use to reproduce this?
                27280 is from the stable branch, it should also have the ability to use IPR in-process (i.e. without a separate process for running the IPR). Can you try switching to the old method and see if it also fails there? Render settings > IPR tab > advanced > use out of process IPR.
                It's not in a simple scene. Yes, was rendering with in-process IPR. I can try it with the old method IPR ot see. If still doesn't work, I'll see if I can simplify the scene and package it up for upload.
                always curious...

Comment

Thanks, that would be very helpful.
                  Alex Yolov
                  Product Manager
                  www.chaos.com

Comment

Flickering occurs when scrubbing TimeLine during IPR in the scene where the camera is moving.
                    Bug?

CaptureVideo
                    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ilc...ew?usp=sharing

tested on V-RayMaya 3.60.03 + Maya 2018 win10

scene file attached.
                    Attached Files

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
                    oakcorp.net
                    v-ray.jp

Comment

This is known and is caused by the animation evaluation modes. The only one that is known to be stable for IPR with V-Ray in Maya is the old DG method, so it is recommended to use this one. The Parallel and Serial methods will cause issues (either won't update or will do weird things like that one).
                      There's a plan to make some improvements in that regard, but to my knowledge it so far has turned up to be quite difficult.

Change your animation evaluation mode to DG from Maya's Settings and Preferences > Preferences > Animation (under settings) > Evaluation > evaluation mode.

Alex Yolov
                      Product Manager
                      www.chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by flat View Post
                        Flickering occurs when scrubbing TimeLine during IPR in the scene where the camera is moving.
                        Bug?

Hi,
                        this is a known issue and is in our todo list for fixing. Thanks for the feedback
                        Ivan Shaykov
                        chaos.com

Comment

Thank you for information.
                          I will use DG.

But, Expecting to correspond to the new animation evaluation mode!

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
                          oakcorp.net
                          v-ray.jp

Comment

It's on the list of things to do. It just turns more difficult than expected.
                            Alex Yolov
                            Product Manager
                            www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
                            X