Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roughness bug in VrayMtl for Vray 3.5? Looks like cartoon shader.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roughness bug in VrayMtl for Vray 3.5? Looks like cartoon shader.

It appears that roughness is broken in the VrayMtl for Vray 3.5 in Maya 2017. When roughness is set to 1 on a VrayMtl, the diffuse shading becomes binary, like a two-tone cartoon render where it is either 100% lit or 100% unlit. This can be seen in the attached image, comparing roughness in Arnold and Vray.

I have tested the same scene in Maya 2015 with Vray 3.4 and there the roughness works fine, so I suspect it is a problem with Vray 3.5 in particular.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VrayRoughnessBug.png
Views:	309
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	954076

I have tested this in Maya 2017 with Vray 3.4 and the roughness works fine, so this appears to be a bug specific to Vray 3.52

Comment

Thanks for the update. I'll make a note.
      Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Any chance this can get fixed in nightlies? It's a pretty significant problem.

Comment

Ah, right. If you turn off the "glossy Fresnel" shader, it should render like before.

Then "glossy Fresnel" is ON, we export an entirely different shader under the hood and it has a different implementation of roughness. Will make a note to look into it, but in the meantime, the glossy Fresnel trick should work.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks, that's a good temporary workaround. Of course we then lose the glossy fresnel, which is sub-optimal since glossy Fresnel is super awesome.

I don't know the math behind it all, but the roughness should look the same even with glossy Fresnel, as can be seen in the image I posted above of the original ALsurface which uses glossy Fresnel (or at least it should not look flat like it does now with glossy Fresnel on in the VrayMtl). So I'm still crossing my fingers that this could be fixed in nightlies soon. I know you have superhuman powers Vlado!

Comment

Originally posted by sharktacos View Post
              I don't know the math behind it all, but the roughness should look the same even with glossy Fresnel
              Yes, absolutely - like I said, it's a bug that we will fix.

Best regards,
              Vlado

I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Wondering if this has been fixed for the latest Nighlies?

Comment

This should be now fixed in the stable nightlies. You can try a newer build and see if it works correctly now. It's also going to be included in the next official release.
                  Alex Yolov
                  Product Manager
                  V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
                  www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
                  X