projected normal maps effected by Uvs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• projected normal maps effected by Uvs

If i use projected normal maps on surfaces that dont have good uvs the result doesnt look correct, where as the same surface with a bump map instead looks fine. Is this the correct behavour for projected normal maps?

Hi Admin,

Sorry i posted this in the wrong section, can you please move to maya>problems

Thanks

Matt

Comment

Bump.. Any views on this post?

Comment

Hi Matt,

Can you attach the maya file here ? I see one bug report in our system about similar issue related to Normal map and our Triplanar node and just want to be sure this is the same case before changing its priority.

Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

sorry for the delay, please find attached a scene highlighting the issue. Use any normal map to illustrate the problem
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for attaching the Maya file Matthew. I just want to inform you that the issue is logged as a bug in our system and we will see what can be done to improve the triplanar / normal map combination.

Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

We have confirmed the issue. This happens because the normal maps in tangent space mode need UVs to work correctly, even though the Triplanar texture itself doesn't need them.
              You could use the "Local space bump map" mode instead, which doesn't require any UVs whatsoever. The result will not be the same though.
              V-Ray for Maya dev team lead

Comment

Working...
              X