Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRmeshes Linux Memory allocation

Hi!

we are noticing that certain VRmeshes (for example ones that have a very few triangles per voxel, thus high number of voxels) will generate segmentation faults when rendering Linux.

I assume that the high number of voxels is making VRay needing to allocate too many regions of memory and this eventually will cause VRay to crash...

This same vrscene renders without a problem in Windows.

so that brings up a couple of questions...

Is there a known limit to memory regions allocated in Linux? And how many regions does a vrmesh try to allocate?

Is the number of regions of memory allocation dependant on number of voxels? Number of triangles? Number of triangles per voxel? Preview faces? A combination of all of the above?

I know that it is not recommended to have a low number of triangles per voxel (as this would generate a high count of voxels), so is there any way to run analytics on an existing vrmesh? See how many triangles per voxel, or voxels per file, are there? A python way to run that would be optimal

Can you share one (or more) such proxies that you know would cause a segfault on Linux?
    It would also help to know the V-Ray version you're using.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

You could also try disabling embree and run the same scene on Linux to know if that might be a possible cause.
      And you could try runnign ply2vrmesh <the_vrmesh_file> -info and let us know what it outputs as triangles per voxel, so we can try and replicate the same thing here.
      Alex Yolov
      Product Manager
      www.chaos.com

Comment

Hi Alex. Thanks for the response.

we?ve sent a series of files to costumer support, and Vlado said you guys were working on it already!

Comment

OK, I could not have known that Could you PM me the number(s) of the tickets that you have open with us so I can check up on them? Usualle there's a ticket number automatically returned when you write to our support emails.
          Alex Yolov
          Product Manager
          www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
          X