Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting an absolute displacement vector

Hi,

I'm having some trouble setting a world space displacement vector in a shader. It appears that even with the "absolute" setting vray scales the "up" vector according to the displacement amount setting. Or something along those lines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vrayDisplPorb01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	883279

In this simple example the left object is scaled by 2. I would expect my displacement to be scaled accordingly. But apparently only the red and blue values are scaled, while the green component is still at 1.

Is there a way to counter this effect, or get the displacement amount value inside a shader? I would need my displacement to follow the scaling of the object without being distorted like this. Setting it to object space does not help either.

By the way, the docs state: Vector Displacement (absolute) - this is a Vector displacement mode in which the texture is interpreted as 0.5-based tangent space displacement map;
    This does not seem correct when I look at the results.
    In which spaces does vray expect the vector displacement values in those 3 provided options? Vector displacement gives really weird results when scaling the object. Vector Displacement (absolute) and Vector Displacement (object) seem to give the same results.

Thanks, Nico

No one? That is too bad.
    So is there no way to create/apply a displacement vector in worldspace, that survives scaling of the shape? Hmm..

Nico

Comment

Working...
    X